You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Approve my iPad

I reset my iPad and am trying to recover my messages but can't remember my old password. What do I do?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 5:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 7:42 PM

Hi silas200,

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "I reset my iPad and am trying to recover my messages but can't remember my old password".

Messages is one of the apps that you log-in to with your Apple ID and Apple ID password.

(You would likely have used them to log-in here to the Apple Community.)

If needed:

Apple Support's online article: Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

says:

see the Recover your Apple ID website.

All the best :-)

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2023 7:42 PM in response to silas200

Hi silas200,

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "I reset my iPad and am trying to recover my messages but can't remember my old password".

Messages is one of the apps that you log-in to with your Apple ID and Apple ID password.

(You would likely have used them to log-in here to the Apple Community.)

If needed:

Apple Support's online article: Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

says:

see the Recover your Apple ID website.

All the best :-)

Jul 19, 2023 3:10 PM in response to Texas Trish

If you don't have access to your other device any longer then you'll have to reset your end to end encrypted data. You should have an option below that... click on that then on the next pop up it should give you the option to reset your end to end encrypted data.

This explains what end to end encrypted data is: iCloud data security overview - Apple Support

Approve my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.