You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 bluetooth compatibility

I own an iPhone 6 and am looking into buying new headphones with bluetooth 5.3, but I have heard the iPhone 6 is compatible with bluetooth 4.0 and less, but I can't find anything online about if the iPhone 6 would work with a bluetooth 5.3, and I don't have a device that uses 5.3 anywhere lying around that I can text it with so I came here for answers.

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 2:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2023 2:14 AM

Yes, it will work.

All higher-level Bluetooth devices have backward compatibility but the reverse is not true.

The iPhone 6 does not support Bluetooth 5.3 that is a known fact. The iPhone 6 model is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 technology. While Bluetooth 4.0 is capable of pairing with various Bluetooth devices, it has a lower data transfer rate and may not offer all the features and capabilities of Bluetooth 5.3.

When considering new headphones with Bluetooth 5.3, it's important to check their compatibility with Bluetooth 4.0 devices. Many Bluetooth headphones are backward compatible, meaning they can connect to older Bluetooth versions, including Bluetooth 4.0. However, certain advanced features of Bluetooth 5.3 may not be available or fully functional when connected to a Bluetooth 4.0 device.

Before purchasing new headphones, it's advisable to review the specifications and compatibility information provided by the manufacturer. Look for Bluetooth compatibility with devices running Bluetooth 4.0 or higher to ensure a successful pairing and optimal functionality with your iPhone 6.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2023 2:14 AM in response to oskar25

Yes, it will work.

All higher-level Bluetooth devices have backward compatibility but the reverse is not true.

The iPhone 6 does not support Bluetooth 5.3 that is a known fact. The iPhone 6 model is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 technology. While Bluetooth 4.0 is capable of pairing with various Bluetooth devices, it has a lower data transfer rate and may not offer all the features and capabilities of Bluetooth 5.3.

When considering new headphones with Bluetooth 5.3, it's important to check their compatibility with Bluetooth 4.0 devices. Many Bluetooth headphones are backward compatible, meaning they can connect to older Bluetooth versions, including Bluetooth 4.0. However, certain advanced features of Bluetooth 5.3 may not be available or fully functional when connected to a Bluetooth 4.0 device.

Before purchasing new headphones, it's advisable to review the specifications and compatibility information provided by the manufacturer. Look for Bluetooth compatibility with devices running Bluetooth 4.0 or higher to ensure a successful pairing and optimal functionality with your iPhone 6.

iPhone 6 bluetooth compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.