You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I’m looking for a way to use my iPad as a monitor as I record video on my iPhone.

Hi, I am wanting to record a video with my iPhone’s rear camera. I have an iPad that I would love to use to see what’s in the frame as I film- is there a way I could mirror the display? It would be at home, so both devices would have access to the same Wi-Fi. Also, the setup I would use would have the two close together, so some option that connects them with cords would work too. Thank you!!

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 3:31 PM

I am not seeing an option on my iPad to do screen mirroring to my iPhone or vice versa. I think the continuity camera only works between a Mac and one of the devices, not between the devices themselves. I haven’t gotten a chance to try the wired connection. Is there a cord that connects two lightning ports together? Thank you for your helpful response!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2023 3:31 PM in response to Tesserax

I am not seeing an option on my iPad to do screen mirroring to my iPhone or vice versa. I think the continuity camera only works between a Mac and one of the devices, not between the devices themselves. I haven’t gotten a chance to try the wired connection. Is there a cord that connects two lightning ports together? Thank you for your helpful response!

Jun 13, 2023 12:01 PM in response to Kyambi

See if the following can work for you:

You should be able to mirror the display of your iPhone's rear camera onto your iPad using a feature called "Continuity Camera" or by connecting them with cords. Here are two methods you can try:

Method 1: Continuity Camera (Wireless)

1. Make sure both your iPhone and iPad are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and are running on iOS 12 or later.
  2. On your iPad, swipe down from the top-right corner to open the Control Center.
  3. Look for the "Screen Mirroring" or "AirPlay" icon (it looks like a rectangle with an arrow pointing upwards) and tap on it.
  4. In the list of available devices, you should see your iPhone listed. Tap on it to establish the connection.
  5. Once connected, your iPad's screen will mirror the display of your iPhone's rear camera. Open the Camera app on your iPhone, and you should be able to see the live preview on your iPad.

Method 2: Wired Connection

1. Get a Lightning to USB cable (or USB-C to Lightning cable if your iPad has a USB-C port) to connect your iPhone and iPad together.
  2. Connect one end of the cable to the Lightning port on your iPhone and the other end to the Lightning or USB-C port on your iPad.
  3. On your iPad, open the "Photos" app.
  4. Tap on the "Import" tab at the bottom and select your iPhone from the list of available devices.
  5. Once connected, your iPad will display a live preview of your iPhone's rear camera. You can use the "Record" button in the Photos app to start capturing a video.

Ref: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

I’m looking for a way to use my iPad as a monitor as I record video on my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.