You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email claiming hack. Wants bit coin

I was just deleting my junk mail file today and discovered an email saying a colbalt virus had been put on my system. Says they have all my info and will share. Says they want bit coin. I think this is fake. I deleted it. That said I think I will have my MAC reviewed / checked for virus. I just add here because I looked on line for info and the info here was good but says it has been a while since anyone added something. So I present my two cents.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 30, 2023 7:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 8:14 AM

Additionally, this is a VERY OLD scam.

Newer phishing scams are FAR more “convincing” in appearance; often appearing to be from Apple AND are more insidious - usually attempting a takeover your entire AppleID.

Compute Defensively !

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2023 8:14 AM in response to tommray1

Additionally, this is a VERY OLD scam.

Newer phishing scams are FAR more “convincing” in appearance; often appearing to be from Apple AND are more insidious - usually attempting a takeover your entire AppleID.

Compute Defensively !

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Email claiming hack. Wants bit coin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.