You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Safari EVER open after tapping a link since the EDGE I put on my iPhone 7-Plus is Set as Default Browser?

I don't like using Safari at all and I don't even know what to do when I find myself on it and want to do standard things like email myself the URL that I'm on.

Not to mention that I've got a HUGE collection of Favorites in EDGE that my iPhone's EDGE shares with the EDGE on my Windows pc or that I could even access from anywhere that I logged in as me.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on May 29, 2023 2:42 PM

11 replies

May 29, 2023 9:58 PM in response to John Galt

Just as I suspected, a User can't remove Safari. I did what it says at your link and Remove Application isn't an option of Safari like it is on all other 3rd party APPs. It only offers you to Remove Application From Home Screen, which just puts it into the Library, which is where I already had it since I never want to use it.

Since my iPhone is so old and doesn't qualify for the latest iOS, I thought I'd look at the link that the bottom of that page that says "See the Apple Support article Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch." Still no luck. Removing Safari isn't an option in the list of built-in things that you can remove either.

BUMMER. Good suggestion though. Thanks. ☻

May 29, 2023 7:08 PM in response to John Galt

I'm sorry but I thought that I described the situation quite clearly in my question. I'll restate the details.

I don't want to EVER use Safari or even learn how to use it. I'm only interested in using EDGE since that's where all of my Favorites are stored on both my Windows 10 PC and on my iPhone as EDGE syncs them if it's set up properly.

I put EDGE on my iPhone for these reasons and set it as the Default Browser and yet, sometimes when I click on a link, it opens in Safari.

What about my question that I just restated did you not understand?

May 29, 2023 9:42 PM in response to John Galt

TOO COOL ... I can remove Safari? I'd never thought of that and I'd have thought that it wasn't even possible. I'll be doing that right away in the morning.

It occurred to me that maybe the only links that open in Safari even with EDGE set as the Default, might be ones that are in text messages since that goes thru some weird iMessaging thing that's an iPhone exclusive. Maybe it only knows Safari?

I looked in Settings > Messages, and there's nowhere in it to set its Default Browser like the one that I set in Settings > Safari. I do see that there's a slider there to turn ON or OFF iMessages and below it, it says that has something to do with "Sending iMessages uses wireless data". I guess that must mean that it's different that just using something else, but I don't know what that would be. You probably know.

Just for sh**s and giggles, here's my iPhone's Home Screen:

May 29, 2023 7:58 PM in response to vankjeff

No need to apologize; I just think attempting to force Microsoft's products and Microsoft's way of doing things onto an iPhone will ultimately be an exercise in frustration. iPhones (and Macs for that matter) do all the same things and include everything you need to handle emails, contacts, Calendar appointments, etc. You don't need to install anything else.

If your preference is for Microsoft products there is nothing wrong with Windows phones though.

May 22, 2024 1:59 PM in response to vankjeff

I have the same problem with both iPhone and Mac (iMessages) links defaulting to Safari. For me the function is just not as good as others. My work around is to copy the link into Google Chrome which is my preferred and default product.

All of the services that I pay for work best in an a la carte fashion. I use whatever product best suits my task, not just what is prescribed to me by a corporation whose interest is limiting my spending to their product.

I keep Safari (and Edge and Internet Explorer) on both devices for that reason; there are websites whose operations aren't compatible with Chrome and the others can sometimes help.

Good luck!

Why does Safari EVER open after tapping a link since the EDGE I put on my iPhone 7-Plus is Set as Default Browser?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.