You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloads won't open unless renamed

This is an odd one. When I download a file in Safari, I'm told:

The file "X" couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it. To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get info

As far as I know, I haven't changed settings and I'm the only user. Oddly, if I go into the Downloads folder, find the file and change the filename, I can open it. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 26, 2023 3:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 7:53 AM

Callum Kaye wrote:

The file "X" couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it. To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get info

As far as I know, I haven't changed settings and I'm the only user. Oddly, if I go into the Downloads folder, find the file and change the filename, I can open it. Any ideas?

This is all files downloaded or just your file" X"...(?) What is file "X"?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 27, 2023 7:53 AM in response to Callum Kaye

Callum Kaye wrote:

This is all files downloaded or just your file" X"...(?) What is file "X"?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Downloads won't open unless renamed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.