You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Entering iCal events for travel to another time zone

When entering time for event when traveling to Hawaii do I enter the event in my current time zone where I am now, and will it automatically change when I travel to Hawaii?

Should I have “time zone override’ toggle turned on my iPhone, and should I have time zone turned on my iMac at home as I enter the events?

I was trying to make sure my flight info is going to be correct when I travel over several time zones. Also I have excursions planned for while in Hawaii but I want to go ahead and enter them now on my calendar. I am in the EDT zone.

Thanks!

Posted on May 21, 2023 5:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 2:15 PM

gators70 wrote:

Just to clarify, when I set up my events, I should set up the local time zone where I am when entering the events?

Yes.

On my phone in the calendar settings, should the toggle be on for Time Zone Override?

No.

It looks like the airline download to icalendar is actually putting it in the physical time zone as to where the plane is. So if I just leave these alone, I should be okay, right?

Yes. Double check by seeing that the flight duration makes sense.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 22, 2023 2:15 PM in response to gators70

gators70 wrote:

Just to clarify, when I set up my events, I should set up the local time zone where I am when entering the events?

Yes.

On my phone in the calendar settings, should the toggle be on for Time Zone Override?

No.

It looks like the airline download to icalendar is actually putting it in the physical time zone as to where the plane is. So if I just leave these alone, I should be okay, right?

Yes. Double check by seeing that the flight duration makes sense.

May 21, 2023 5:46 PM in response to sberman

The calendar gives you the option to select the local time zone of the actual meeting.

So if you setup a meeting in Honolulu for 1:00 PM HST (HI does not use DST) it will display on your device at the correct time in any other time zone. (e.g. 7:00 PM EDT if you’re in New York)

I’ve found it best to consistantly set meetings in the local time zone, and let my devices sort-out the ACTUAL time based on where I might be physically located (AND account for any intra-regional differences in DST start/stop).

May 22, 2023 1:43 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Entering iCal events for travel to another time zone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.