You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple iTunes movie purchase long term availability

I've purchased a lot of movies from the iTunes Store, will i lose any of my purchases if at some point Apple no longer makes has the movies or tv shows available in their store, and I haven’t downloaded all of my purchases? Even if I download the films, if apple no longer makes them available, will I still be able to play those titles (have had bad experience with digital titles that were on Flixter, and not all transferred to Google)?

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)

Posted on May 18, 2023 11:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 3:27 PM

Yes, you could potentially lose them if they are removed from the Store and you don't have a local copy. In fact, that is fairly common. Keep a backup.

To your "even if I download them" question, that is also a possibility, although far less likely. The films you have acquired are DRM-protected and can only be played back with Apple support. If at a future date that support is discontinued, the films would become unplayable. I am not familiar with the Flixter experience, but I have seen it happen with the "ATRAC" DRM-protected music files that Sony used to sell.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 18, 2023 3:27 PM in response to kssheikh

Yes, you could potentially lose them if they are removed from the Store and you don't have a local copy. In fact, that is fairly common. Keep a backup.

To your "even if I download them" question, that is also a possibility, although far less likely. The films you have acquired are DRM-protected and can only be played back with Apple support. If at a future date that support is discontinued, the films would become unplayable. I am not familiar with the Flixter experience, but I have seen it happen with the "ATRAC" DRM-protected music files that Sony used to sell.

Apr 4, 2024 7:02 PM in response to ed2345

Keeping a backup copy has limited value. It still will not play in the future unless played on the original computer with the original iTunes software and original hardware configuration. Apple encrypted a DRM key for the copy with various these attributes and need the original sources to decrypt the key to play. I have been burned by this DRM key scheme and lost critical movies in my collection when I replaced an old computer.

Aug 9, 2024 2:13 PM in response to Boblo80

Some here, within 15 years, I have now a collection of well over 1000 movies and TV shows. But within this period of time, I have seen many movies removed from my library, just to reappear within the next few days later, with the new preview image and the price and... well, asking me to purchase it again (?!). Also, on many occasions, by mistake I have purchased a movie that I already owned - for some reason Apple didn't recognized it - I noticed 2 identical movies in my library later. I notified Apple asking how is this possible - no explanation given, except a refund. Today, I noticed First Blood (Rambo) gone from my library again, and available for purchase (I purchased this movie twice before) - this is simply a ripoff. Apple is rubbing us blind.

Apple iTunes movie purchase long term availability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.