You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iwatch series 3

I was gifted an iwatch 3 and reset it to factory setting (the watch has not been used for 2 year) but unable to pair it with an iPhone - tried it with iPhone SE, 8, X, 11,13 & 14 but to no avail. Is this fixable?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:14 AM

6 replies

May 12, 2023 3:55 PM in response to ramxxl

Thanks for reaching out ramxxl,

It sounds like you're trying to pair your Apple Watch, but running into difficulty. We can help.

A great place to start is with these steps If you can't pair an Apple Watch with your iPhone:

Make sure that Apple Watch isn’t already paired

When you set up Apple Watch, your iPhone asks you to hold the watch up to your iPhone camera. If your iPhone says that it's unable to connect to Apple Watch — or if the watch shows a clock face — Apple Watch might already be paired.
If you have its paired iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch
1. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, tap the My Watch tab, then tap All Watches at the top of the screen.
2. Tap the "i" button I button next to the watch that you want to unpair, then tap Unpair Apple Watch.
3. Tap again to confirm, then wait for the watch to unpair.
4. After Apple Watch unpairs, you can pair again.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

May 13, 2023 4:24 AM in response to ramxxl

In addition to that excellent advice, series 3 Watches are difficult to pair because of relatively low storage but…

Ensure if the iphone is on iOS16 then it is on iOS16.4 or later.

Erase the Watch completely. Put your watch on its charger and keep it there until you complete these steps. (select the watch OS version) Erase Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

When pairing do not try to restore the backup, pair as a New Watch Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

Ii is important that the previous owner removed it from their Apple account as part of the reset.

May 13, 2023 8:11 AM in response to LD150

Thanks so much.

I hv reset the iwatch to factory setting. Used charger during pairing with iPhone 11 on IOS 16.4.1 (a). During the pairing process, was required (and proceeded) to update the iwatch software. At the end, the following error message appeared. Have repeated the pairing process > 20 times but same error message recurring every time.

iwatch series 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.