You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad not printing color

My IPad has quit printing color on my printer. The only option is black and white or black and white draft. It previously printed in color. What has changed suddenly.

Posted on May 8, 2023 12:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 9:26 AM

Same issue ….. from iPad black and white only, no colour.

send documents to my laptop, prints perfectly in colour so colour ink is not low.

This has only apparently happened since latest iPad software update ??

16 replies

May 10, 2023 9:01 AM in response to Ladybsmom

When using AirPrint, the available print settings are “advertised” by the printer - and are subsequently displayed on your iPad for selection. If you can see Black & White or Greyscale options - and not Colour - this would suggest the the printer itself if not accepting colour print jobs.

Perhaps the printer is running low on colour ink/toner - or your printer’s own settings are set for monochrome printing.

May 23, 2024 2:55 PM in response to jackdoh11

jackdoh11 wrote:

no color print option on iphone mac ipad

Presumably your iPad, iPhone and Mac have all been updated to the current versions of iOS/iPadOS and macOS.

If so, your printer may be using a much older version of AirPrint that has been deprecated in recent OS updates. Check to see if a firmware update is available for your printer from the printer manufacturer.

Jun 16, 2024 4:18 AM in response to Ladybsmom

Did anyone find a way to fix this issue?

I just bought an iPad Pro and I’m unable to print in colour, it doesn’t matter if I try to print from the share button, hp smart or the critcut app, there is still no option to print it colour.

I can print in colour just fine from my PC and android phone but just not from my iPad (I tried on an iPad Air and it still wouldn’t work).

I have tried a whole bunch of different “solutions” but none seem to work at all.

Both my iPad and printer are up to date and have the latest firmware.

Jun 16, 2024 5:15 AM in response to JasBen95

JasBen95 wrote:

Did anyone find a way to fix this issue?
I just bought an iPad Pro and I’m unable to print in colour, it doesn’t matter if I try to print from the share button, hp smart or the critcut app, there is still no option to print it colour.
I can print in colour just fine from my PC and android phone but just not from my iPad (I tried on an iPad Air and it still wouldn’t work).

I have tried a whole bunch of different “solutions” but none seem to work at all.

Both my iPad and printer are up to date and have the latest firmware.

Check the settings of the printer itself.

When using AirPrint, the available print settings are “advertised” by the printer - and are subsequently displayed on your iPad for selection. If you can see Black & White or Greyscale options - and not Colour - this would suggest the the printer itself if not accepting colour print jobs.

Perhaps the printer is running low on colour ink/toner - or your printer’s own settings are set for monochrome printing.

Jun 16, 2024 6:23 AM in response to JasBen95

JasBen95 wrote:

As previously stated, I can print colour from my PC and Android phone so why can’t I on my iPad?
My printer has a full cartridge of ink.

Unlike your iPad, your PC and Android devices are not using AirPrint - but are instead using entirely different network printing protocols to communicate with your printer.

Your printer may also be using a much older version of AirPrint that has been deprecated in recent OS updates. Check to see if a firmware update is available for your printer from the printer manufacturer.

Jun 16, 2024 6:46 AM in response to JasBen95

"Latest firmware" means nothing without context. The latest firmware update for your (unidentified printer) may have been (for example) five years ago - and may not of itself support the current version of AirPrint.

I too had an HP printer that was previously updated to its latest version - and similarly discovered that the available firmware version was simply too old. This very same printer would work flawlessly when connected by USB to a Windows PC - but was otherwise useless in not supporting recent versions of iPadOS.

iPad not printing color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.