You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to uninstall quick time player.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 8, 2023 4:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 7:11 AM

QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows has the advise to uninstall. No later versions exist for Windows.

QuickTime 10.5 for Mac is the current version. Any advise to uninstall this version on Mac could point to malware or other scams.

Do you have third party security software where this alert came from?

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2023 7:11 AM in response to David Carolan

QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows has the advise to uninstall. No later versions exist for Windows.

QuickTime 10.5 for Mac is the current version. Any advise to uninstall this version on Mac could point to malware or other scams.

Do you have third party security software where this alert came from?

Apr 2, 2024 7:15 AM in response to weeejeee

Alright, I think I understand.

While I can’t find an option in the Photos app to show the source file in Finder, or an option to view in QuickTime Player, there is an option to Edit With﹥QuickTime Player (⌘⏎). No need to edit anything per se; once opened in QTP, you can play it there, or save it elsewhere. For playback, not much different from playing in the Photos app, though.

The video file itself is probably in your Pictures folder (~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/, «Show Package Contents»), although obfuscated with a semi random filename of 32 characters (+4 dashes) in the library copy, like 735EC691-6073-48A5-8B12-B86675676D3F.mov . Looking at the modified dates may also help identifying your recent import.

QuickTime Player itself will play the video files fine, when I try to play mine; it is not about the capabilities of QTP. More about the app-to-app connection through the Photos app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.