You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Rules Disappear

I have a new MacBook Air M2 running Ventura 13.3.1 (a). Every time I quit Apple Mail or restart the MacBook my Rules disappear and I'm left with one rule: News From Apple. If I delete "News From Apple" and create a new rule, when I quit or restart the same thing happens. I've tested in Safe Mode, same thing. I've seen a few others ask this question here, but I haven't seen any solutions.

I lost about 10 rules when I migrated from my old MacBook Pro to the Air, I thought it was isolated, but alas the problem persists.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 2, 2023 8:26 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 1, 2024 2:46 AM in response to PreacherSimon

Mail Rules Disappear!!

This is a recent occurence, since around February 26, 2024:

In mail settings, I have set up a new rule, I have also deleted some other rules. When I shut down and restart, the mail settings revert -- I lose the new rule settings, the deleted rules reappear. This has happened at least three times now.

I have nor have I ever had mail rules set in iCloud.

This is a very painful problem!! Please fix it!!!

MacBook Pro | Ventura 13.6.4

May 2, 2023 10:00 AM in response to PreacherSimon

PreacherSimon wrote:

I have a new MacBook Air M2 running Ventura 13.3.1 (a). Every time I quit Apple Mail or restart the MacBook my Rules disappear and I'm left with one rule: News From Apple. If I delete "News From Apple" and create a new rule, when I quit or restart the same thing happens. I've tested in Safe Mode, same thing. I've seen a few others ask this question here, but I haven't seen any solutions.

I lost about 10 rules when I migrated from my old MacBook Pro to the Air, I thought it was isolated, but alas the problem persists.

Try turning off Mail in iCloud— then edit rules (make some change) and see if they saved properly; re-enable iCloud Mail to test.

>System Settings>AppleID>iCloud

Rules:

Change Add Rule settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Rule settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac ...

Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

May 2, 2023 10:56 AM in response to PreacherSimon

PreacherSimon wrote:

Same outcome with Mail turned off in iCloud. The rule I make disappears and "News From Apple" reappears.

ref

Turn notifications and emails on or off in Apple News

no resolve—

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

May 5, 2024 10:29 AM in response to PreacherSimon

The solution for MacOS Ventura is as follows (2 steps).

Close the Mail app, then open 'System Settings' and click on your avatar at the top (it says 'Apple ID' under it)

1. iCloud Mail
    1. Select 'iCloud Mail' and turn on 'Sync this Mac'. This syncs your iCloud email, not your regular email accounts (if they are different, as most people's are). Click 'Done'.
  2. iCloud Drive
    1. Select 'iCloud Drive'. 'Sync this Mac' may be on, this is OK.
    2. Select 'Apps syncing to iCloud Drive', find 'Mail' in the list and make sure it is unchecked.

Once these steps have been completed start Mail and add a new rule. Close Mail, reopen it and check that the new rule is still there.

BTW, Rules are stored in a file located at /Users/<user-name>/Library/Mail/V10/MailData/SyncedRules.plist. If you understand P-LISTS, you can check the contents and see the rules that the mail app is seeing.

I hope this helps.

Mail Rules Disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.