You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 4K (3rd generation), Sonos Beam (1st Gen), Samsung The Frame 49 (2019) Sound quality problem

Everything is plugged as it should and basically works. Problem is that the Sonos App tells me the Beam soundbar is receiving PCM Stereo at all times whatever the source and material quality used (Netflix, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime, etc.).

I've tried to changed the audio format on the AppleTV from auto to Dolby Digital, no change. I cannot change the format on the TV sound output. It is set on PCM and the other options Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+ are greyed out.

I don't know where the problem is exactly, can't find any answer from Sonos or Samsung at the moment. Would appreicate any help and idea.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 2:59 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 25, 2023 9:02 AM in response to François Mottaz

On Apple TV, in audio output settings, do not select the audio system, but instead ‘TV Speakers’ (=audio output over HDMI), then also set your TV to use the soundbar for audio output.

When selecting the audio system directly on Apple TV, it will use AirPlay (or Bluetooth) in stereo.

If this TV and/or soundbar doesn’t support eARC, then Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 should be available. Apple TV doesn’t output Dolby Digital+. PCM Multichannel (and Dolby MAT) require more HDMI bandwidth than ARC supports.

Apr 25, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your reply. I have however no choice on the AppleTV, I have a default choice named "receiver speakers" and that's it. I seem to remember I had a choice including "TV Speakers" but don't know if, when or why I don't find it any longer.

I recently changed AppleTV model and reset my Sonos system due to Airplay problems linked to Apple Homekit architecture (that's another story) and I believe my problems started then.

The TV manual says ARC but with a note saying "some models might support eARC" (very useful…). The sound bar definitely ARC only.

But, and this is the god news. While reading a lot this morning, I tried to simplify the problem and tried Netflix directly from the smart TV app. The Dolby Digital menu became active in the TV output settings. Don't ask me why. And the best news is that it remained active also when I changed back to my AppleTV for streaming. My problem is now magically solved. Dont‘ know who is to blame though.

AppleTV 4K (3rd generation), Sonos Beam (1st Gen), Samsung The Frame 49 (2019) Sound quality problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.