You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I charge my Macbook Pro M2 with external cable (not Apple) and Will it reduce my battery health?

I have Macbook Pro M2 and I have original charging adapter and type-c cable but I want to use cable like magnetic MagSafe charging cable like in Macbook Air M2 model. I want to buy magnetic type-c cable and use it with original adapter. Will it harm my battery or my macbook?

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 12:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 8:29 PM

It is generally safe to use third-party charging cables with your MacBook Pro M2, as long as they are USB-C cables that support the power delivery standards required by your laptop. However, it is important to note that not all third-party cables are created equal and some may not meet these requirements, which could potentially damage your MacBook's battery or other components.

If you want to use a magnetic MagSafe charging cable with your MacBook Pro M2, you can purchase a third-party cable that is designed to work with USB-C ports. Just make sure that the cable you choose is rated for the appropriate power output and supports the same charging standards as the original cable that came with your MacBook Pro.

Using a third-party charging cable is unlikely to reduce your battery health, as long as the cable is of high quality and is used properly. However, it's always a good idea to use official accessories from Apple whenever possible to ensure the best performance and longevity of your MacBook Pro.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2023 8:29 PM in response to mali_ai

It is generally safe to use third-party charging cables with your MacBook Pro M2, as long as they are USB-C cables that support the power delivery standards required by your laptop. However, it is important to note that not all third-party cables are created equal and some may not meet these requirements, which could potentially damage your MacBook's battery or other components.

If you want to use a magnetic MagSafe charging cable with your MacBook Pro M2, you can purchase a third-party cable that is designed to work with USB-C ports. Just make sure that the cable you choose is rated for the appropriate power output and supports the same charging standards as the original cable that came with your MacBook Pro.

Using a third-party charging cable is unlikely to reduce your battery health, as long as the cable is of high quality and is used properly. However, it's always a good idea to use official accessories from Apple whenever possible to ensure the best performance and longevity of your MacBook Pro.

Can I charge my Macbook Pro M2 with external cable (not Apple) and Will it reduce my battery health?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.