You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I update Safari to 16.4.1

hi my safari is 16.4, how can i update to 16.4.1

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 6:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 9:04 AM

The way Safari is updated is by upgrading your computer's software. An upgrade is when you install a newer OS version, such as upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur. An update is to install a newer version of the same operating system. The reason for this is because Safari is installed as part of the operating system. It cannot normally be individually installed. Incidentally, a newer version of Safari does not always work with every web site. Sometimes it is necessary to install another browser such as Firefox or one of the many browsers available from the Apple App Store to use with certain web sites. They are individually installed and upgraded.

So, the latest Safari version is installed when you upgrade the OS on your iMac. You can check the model year of your iMac under the Apple menu > About This Mac.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2023 9:04 AM in response to gerryrn

The way Safari is updated is by upgrading your computer's software. An upgrade is when you install a newer OS version, such as upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur. An update is to install a newer version of the same operating system. The reason for this is because Safari is installed as part of the operating system. It cannot normally be individually installed. Incidentally, a newer version of Safari does not always work with every web site. Sometimes it is necessary to install another browser such as Firefox or one of the many browsers available from the Apple App Store to use with certain web sites. They are individually installed and upgraded.

So, the latest Safari version is installed when you upgrade the OS on your iMac. You can check the model year of your iMac under the Apple menu > About This Mac.

Apr 26, 2023 11:38 AM in response to ElliotAldersonSoc

I have a MacBook Air and have the same issue. The only way I even realized it was because I started trying to figure out why Safari won't load any web pages for me anymore. I have the latest OS just like you and my other browsers are working fine, its not a web connection problem, just a Safari problem. I was thinking updating to 16.4.1 might fix the problem, but I don't know how since I'm already on the newest OS. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Apr 26, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Ronasara

My situation is that even after updating today to the latest MacOS, my Safari is still 16.4 instead of 16.4.1. And safari isn't loading ANY pages. Not just some. Other browsers are working fine, just not Safari. So just not sure what needs to happen to get Safari working again. I was hoping updating the OS would work, but it didn't, so I started looking into Safari, 16.4.1, but don't know how to get it since updating MacOS didn't do it.

Sep 26, 2023 2:01 AM in response to gerryrn

Ok I have read all this and the odd bit is this:

An upgrade is when you install a newer OS version, such as upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur. An update is to install a newer version of the same operating system.

Now I have jumped through couple of OS updates and I still have Safari v 14.1.3

The upgrade path was:

Mojave ->Catalina->Big Sur

According to above by the time I upgraded to Big Sur I should have had Safari version 15.x or better still 16.x

BUT i still have Safari version 14.1.3.

So in doing these OS upgrades Apple did not upgrade my version of Safari with these OS upgrades.

Please explain what is wrong.

Where do I get the Safari upgrade from. that is at least version 16.6.x

thanks

Sep 26, 2023 3:07 AM in response to Ronasara

Interesting point here:

Sometimes an OS upgrade (which reinstalls Safari as well) solves the problem. Sometimes it does not

The fact that the Apple upgrade of an OS does not at times upgrade Safari would suggest that deep down in Apple's upgrade algorithms there is a basic flaw.

This also suggests that Apple should some where provide a direct upgrade path for Safari via the Apps Store not just based in an add hock may be it will happen OS upgrade.

I did up grade my OS from Mojave by going through the steps of Mojave - > Catalina -> Big Sur. I still had Safari 14.1.3 So there is a serious problem within Apple's system.

How can I update Safari to 16.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.