You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macos 14 Boot up old hard drives?

Can I boot up my old Mac Snow Leopard back up drive on my new MBA macOS 14 like I used to be able to do on my old MBP running macOS 10.13 using Disk Utility?

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 8:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2023 7:24 PM

John Barro wrote:

My old MBP running High Sierra (MAC OS 10.13) can boot-up a saved hard disk of Snow Leopard (10.6), but apparently, an M1 MacBook Air cannot?? It was a simple question, or so I thought.

The simple answer is an M1 MacBook Air cannot boot Snow Leopard for two reasons,

1) It cannot boot an OS older than the one that shipped on it.

2) It cannot boot from an Intel OS. It needs an OS based on Apple Silicon.

A 2010 MacBook Pro shipped with Snow Leopard and can run High Sierra.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2023 7:24 PM in response to John Barro

John Barro wrote:

My old MBP running High Sierra (MAC OS 10.13) can boot-up a saved hard disk of Snow Leopard (10.6), but apparently, an M1 MacBook Air cannot?? It was a simple question, or so I thought.

The simple answer is an M1 MacBook Air cannot boot Snow Leopard for two reasons,

1) It cannot boot an OS older than the one that shipped on it.

2) It cannot boot from an Intel OS. It needs an OS based on Apple Silicon.

A 2010 MacBook Pro shipped with Snow Leopard and can run High Sierra.

Apr 8, 2023 9:02 AM in response to John Barro

The model of your mac determines which versions of the OS it can use.

What is your mac model and year (as seen in About this Mac from your Apple menu)?

Snow Leopard is more than a decade old. Very very few macs from around 2013 can run Ventura, most of them stopped at Bir Sur. I believe the single exception is the 2013 “trash can” Mac Pro.

I seriously doubt that there will be macs capable of running both Snow Leopard and also macOS 14.

Apr 15, 2023 10:36 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Sorry Luis, I don't mean to be confusing. Currently I have a MacBook Pro running High Sierra that I can plug in an old back-up drive running Snow Leopard that I can boot-up on the MBP. I was just wondering if I could still do the same with my new MBAir. It's not that important since I can still use my MBP but I was trying to find an easy way to copy over my old photos and videos to the MBA. I guess its up to my flash drives! Again, sorry for any confusion. Thanks again for answering. It is very helpful.

May 27, 2023 9:20 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Barney. Understood. I know my M1 can 'see' the files but cannot run any apps, but mostly I needed access to the docs, photos, movies and any music files. At least I know to hang on to and tae care of my old MBP.

Did I mention the I still have my original 2004 iBook running System 8? Ot still boots up and works just great although the iTunes will no longer connect to Apple Music. But that's okay. It's a peek back into systems past.

Thanks again!

macos 14 Boot up old hard drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.