You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting Data Recovery Failed

I've recently forgotten my passcode for my iPad. I have gone through the steps of resetting it through iTunes. My iPad is now stuck on Failed Attempting Data recovery. Please help. It asks me to enter my passcode and to verify but how can i when i don't know my passcode. I have tried my most recent passcode and it has failed multiple times. Please give advice on what to do or if i need to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 10:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 3:10 AM

Your best option is to first restore to factory settings - and complete initial setup from the initial “hello” page without attempting to restore your data:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS). Ensure that you have updated to the most recent version of iTunes:

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

By performing the factory restore - without restoring your data - provides opportunity to load a clean copy of the most recent version of iPadOS supported by your iPad and get your iPad to a running state. This demonstrates that your device is healthy and does not have any residual issues associated with data or corrupt settings.

After the factory restore process has been successfully completed, you can then restore your data from your existing iCloud or iTunes backup:

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 5, 2023 3:10 AM in response to jenyrs

Your best option is to first restore to factory settings - and complete initial setup from the initial “hello” page without attempting to restore your data:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS). Ensure that you have updated to the most recent version of iTunes:

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

By performing the factory restore - without restoring your data - provides opportunity to load a clean copy of the most recent version of iPadOS supported by your iPad and get your iPad to a running state. This demonstrates that your device is healthy and does not have any residual issues associated with data or corrupt settings.

After the factory restore process has been successfully completed, you can then restore your data from your existing iCloud or iTunes backup:

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

Apr 4, 2023 10:45 PM in response to jenyrs

jenyrs Said:

"Attempting Data Recovery Failed: I've recently forgotten my passcode for my iPad. [...]I have tried my most recent passcode and it has failed multiple times. Please give advice on what to do or if i need to take it somewhere to get it fixed."

-------

Troubleshooting a Locked iPad:

Being Locked Out...

Hold it Right There!

Enter the passcode incorrectly too many times, and you'd likely be locked out for good. So, hold it right there, and refer to this link: If you Forgot your iPad Passcode - Apple Support. It would be the one you've always entered. If you do not know it, then look for it in a location you may have stored it in.

No Success?

Contact Apple support:

If you cannot get the above link to work, then contact Apple Support.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Attempting Data Recovery Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.