You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving email addresses from one apple ID account to another Apple ID account

As many other posts I have seen, I have an apple ID for my main home freelance work and another for everything else not to do with my work.

But since buying a newer imac 2020 (using ventura OS 13.3) and migrating from my old mac pro at the weekend (using time machine backup/settings) I cannot access emails that were on my older apple ID account.

The account email address is greyed out in mail with the zigzag symbol next to it.

When I try to add the password when it asks "sign into icloud entering the password for this email address" it says "verification failed an unknown error occured" yet when I can log into the same icloud/apple ID account through my web browser using this password there is no problem!?

Ive tried resetting the password many time over, turning everything off and on again in different orders! but am pulling my hair out now .....and think Ill just have to use the newer apple ID and trash the other..but dont want to lose access to my other email addresses associated with the older account.

If only I could merge the two apple IDs - but from what Ive read I cant.

So I am willing to delete the older apple ID and hopefully move the associated email addresses over to my main work apple ID which Im keeping.

What order should I do this please?

A)Add the additonal email addresses on the Apple ID Im keeping, then delete the older apple ID?

B) Delete the emails from the older apple ID, then delete this apple ID, then add the email addresses to the newer apple ID Im keeping?

Im scared if I do it in the wrong order that I will lose accessiblity to these other email addresses if it all goes wrong!

By the way....The older apple ID uses @mac and @me email addresses - is this a problem moving them to the apple ID Im keeping?

Any help or advice gratefully received - thank you

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 11:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 3:07 PM

Hi susieandotto,

If you delete an Apple ID account, you wouldn't be able to use that email address again in the future and you wont receive email to that account. You can read more here:

"Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes.

What happens to my iCloud mail and messages when my Apple ID is deleted?

When your Apple ID is deleted, all of your iCloud email and messages are permanently deleted as well. Any messages sent to you via iCloud (Mail and iMessage) are not delivered."

Additional information can be found in this article: How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

To troubleshoot the issue you're experiencing, we suggest removing the account from your Mac and then re-adding it: Log out of or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Should you continue to have issues logging into that account, we suggest you contact Apple Support. They'll be able to look into this with you further.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2023 3:07 PM in response to susieandotto

Hi susieandotto,

If you delete an Apple ID account, you wouldn't be able to use that email address again in the future and you wont receive email to that account. You can read more here:

"Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes.

What happens to my iCloud mail and messages when my Apple ID is deleted?

When your Apple ID is deleted, all of your iCloud email and messages are permanently deleted as well. Any messages sent to you via iCloud (Mail and iMessage) are not delivered."

Additional information can be found in this article: How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

To troubleshoot the issue you're experiencing, we suggest removing the account from your Mac and then re-adding it: Log out of or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Should you continue to have issues logging into that account, we suggest you contact Apple Support. They'll be able to look into this with you further.

Take care.

Moving email addresses from one apple ID account to another Apple ID account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.