You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC user new to Mac-I cannot cut and paste a folder or drop and drag a file

Hello there.

I am normally a pc user but recently have had to use a Mac. I have a Mac Mini, I have been using it to rip my DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs and archive my movie collection. Up to now, I used a PC to do this. When I want to copy a ripped folder or movie from my Mac to an external drive I encounter the same issue. If I try and drag and drop the folder, for example, the folder will not copy over and the icon goes back to the folder I am copying from. If I try and right-click, select 'Copy Folder', then go to the destination folder and right-click the mouse as I would with a PC all I get is 'Get Info'. What am I doing wrong folks? Am a complete newbie when it comes to macs.

Regards

Peter

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 2:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 6:52 AM

DooleyP wrote:

Hello there.
I am normally a pc user but recently have had to use a Mac. I have a Mac Mini, I have been using it to rip my DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs and archive my movie collection. Up to now, I used a PC to do this. When I want to copy a ripped folder or movie from my Mac to an external drive I encounter the same issue. If I try and drag and drop the folder, for example, the folder will not copy over and the icon goes back to the folder I am copying from. If I try and right-click, select 'Copy Folder', then go to the destination folder and right-click the mouse as I would with a PC all I get is 'Get Info'. What am I doing wrong folks? Am a complete newbie when it comes to macs.
Regards
Peter

You may find this useful. It provides tips and key combinations for Windows to Mac converts.

Mac tips for Windows switchers - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2023 6:52 AM in response to DooleyP

DooleyP wrote:

Hello there.
Regards
Peter

You may find this useful. It provides tips and key combinations for Windows to Mac converts.

Mac tips for Windows switchers - Apple Support

PC user new to Mac-I cannot cut and paste a folder or drop and drag a file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.