You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Ultra without iPhone - not using cellular data

Hi all,

when my Ultra is used without iPhone, the cellular data connectivity is not available for apps.

Even the Email app shows "Cannot Get Mail. No connection available to retrieve messages".

Similar connectivity error is shown by 3rd party apps, for example WatchChat.

My cellular plan is active, phone/messages work without any issue. I can see green 4G, so should be OK.

Any thoughts what can be the problem?

Thanks

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 5:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 12:06 AM

Please read my message - I explicitely mentioned the cellular plan is active and the watch is connected to 4G.

The issue is that it just has limited independent functionality without iPhone proximity.

As I wrote:

Email app shows "Cannot Get Mail. No connection available to retrieve messages".

I suspect this is the way data connectivity is designed by Apple, which is very dissapointing for device with cellular plan.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2023 12:06 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Please read my message - I explicitely mentioned the cellular plan is active and the watch is connected to 4G.

The issue is that it just has limited independent functionality without iPhone proximity.

As I wrote:

Email app shows "Cannot Get Mail. No connection available to retrieve messages".

I suspect this is the way data connectivity is designed by Apple, which is very dissapointing for device with cellular plan.

Mar 23, 2023 7:31 AM in response to keisarp

Hello keisarp,

We'd recommend checking the following settings on your Apple Watch to make sure cellular is enabled for these apps with these issues:

1. Go to the Watch app on your paired iPhone.
  2. Tap on Cellular
  3. Make sure the apps that you want to use with your cellular plan are selected (on) here.

Are you using the Apple Watch with Low Power Mode? If so, this could be expected behavior according to: Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Learn more

* To check your cellular data usage, use the Apple Watch app. Open the app on your iPhone, tap the My Watch tab, tap Cellular, then scroll to the Cellular Data Usage section. 

* To turn your cellular connection on or off, swipe up from the watch face to open Control Center. Tap the cellular button , then turn Cellular on or off.

* Turning on cellular for extended periods uses more battery power. Also, some apps might not update without a connection to your iPhone. 

* To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your Apple Watch with cellular, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular.

* Learn how to use Dual SIM with cellular models of Apple Watch.

You can also learn more about what you can do with your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby here: Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

Let us know if this helps out.

Take care.

Mar 23, 2023 3:39 PM in response to keisarp

I'm willing to bet your cellular provider has NOT provisioned your watch correctly. This happened with my brothers Apple Watch 8 on AT&T. It looked like it was connected, but the same issues you are having he was having. And it took AT&T to provision the watch correctly in their system to work without the paired iPhone nearby.

Work with your carrier on this.

Mar 22, 2023 10:55 AM in response to keisarp

Hi keisarp,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you're having an issue using your Apple Watch Ultra with a cellular network.

We're happy to assist.

We recommend checking out the steps in the section titled "Add Apple Watch Ultra to your cellular plan" and "Turn cellular off or on" from the article here: Use Apple Watch Ultra with a cellular network - Apple Support

Add Apple Watch Ultra to your cellular plan
You can activate cellular service on your Apple Watch Ultra by following the instructions during the initial setup. To activate service later, follow these steps:

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Tap My Watch, then tap Cellular.

Follow the instructions to learn more about your carrier service plan and activate cellular for your Apple Watch Ultra. See the Apple Support article Set up cellular on your Apple Watch.

Turn cellular off or on

Your Apple Watch Ultra with an activated cellular plan uses the best network connection available to it—your iPhone when itʼs nearby, a Wi-Fi network that you’ve connected to previously on your iPhone, or a cellular connection. You can turn cellular off—to save battery power, for example. Just follow these steps:

1. Touch and hold the bottom of the screen, then swipe up to open Control Center.
2. Tap the Cellular button, then turn Cellular off or on.

The Cellular button turns green when your Apple Watch Ultra has a cellular connection and your iPhone isn’t nearby.

Note: Turning on cellular for extended periods uses more battery power (see the Apple Watch General Battery Information website for more information). Also, some apps may not update without a connection to your iPhone.

We recommend the steps above because they directly address the issue you initially posted about cellular data connectivity not being available for apps when you're using your Apple Watch Ultra without your iPhone.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Cheers!

Apple Watch Ultra without iPhone - not using cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.