You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What adapter do I use to connect a thunderbolt 2 Mac to a hard drive.

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with thunderbolt 2. I want to go back-and-forth between this MacBook and my M1 Mac mini. And I can't get a good answer via Google and I'm getting frustrated because of time.

Here is a picture of the hard drive enclosure I am using. I have a 1 TB SSD. Can you guys recommend something that will match me up? I'm going to use this for Final Cut Pro as well. I'm hoping the thunderbolt two and the USB-C can handle the data transfer.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 1:14 PM

You can use a Thunderbolt 3/4 to thunderbolt 2 adapter, and you'll get at least thunderbolt 2 speeds:

click here ➜ Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

You can use the adapter and a regular Thunderbolt 2 cable to connect the enclosure to your 2014 MacBook Pro, and you can use a straight USB-C cable tp connect it to the M1 Mac mini.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 8, 2023 1:14 PM in response to nelsonmay

You can use a Thunderbolt 3/4 to thunderbolt 2 adapter, and you'll get at least thunderbolt 2 speeds:

click here ➜ Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

You can use the adapter and a regular Thunderbolt 2 cable to connect the enclosure to your 2014 MacBook Pro, and you can use a straight USB-C cable tp connect it to the M1 Mac mini.

What adapter do I use to connect a thunderbolt 2 Mac to a hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.