You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-cellular Apple Watch series four won't allow family member setup

Hi there,

According to Apple instructions for "Set up Apple Watch for a family member" (Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support,) you don't need a cellular version for family setup but that's not the experience I'm having - I'd welcome a trick to get past this.

The instructions say: What you need

* A cellular plan isn't required to set up an Apple Watch for a family member, but is necessary for some features.

BUT, our Series 4 non-cellular isn't working(watch was at watch 9.3 before reset). AND our old iPhone 7 Plus (on iOS 15.7.3 and won't update further) ALSO won't work when trying to set up the Series 4 watch "For myself", suggesting it needs newer software that will load onto an iPhone 7 Plus.

So, essentially, I think the Apple website guidance is wrong, but I really want it to be true. Anybody have any tricks to get around these issues?

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 6:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 6:25 PM

Read it again:

What you need

It REQUIRES a watch with cellular.

3 replies

Jan 30, 2023 6:40 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you for the reply - please note the asterisk I included in the post where their directions explicitly state a cellular plan is not required.

Are you saying that plan isn’t required but the watch must allow for cellular even if not connected to a plan? I was reading that to mean the watch didn’t need to be the cellular version.

Thats disappointing and confusing.

Non-cellular Apple Watch series four won't allow family member setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.