You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital Crown in Apple Watch set to press instead of turn.

I was comparing my Apple Watch (Series 5) to a friend’s,(also Series 5) and discovered that when using things like Sleep, Water Lock, and Schooltime, his Watch says to turn the Digital Crown, while mine says to press it. I find turning it much easier, and was wondering why they were different. Another friend of mine also has an Apple Watch, (Series 6) and their Digital Crown is also set to press. All of our watches are up to date on updates. Is there any way to change mine from press to turn, and why is this happening?

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 9

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 4:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 4:57 PM

Your signature suggests your watch is on WatchOS 9. The way the digital crown works is different on WatchOS 9. And what you're describing is the way it's now supposed to work. You cannot go back to how it was before WatchOS 9. It appears your friend has NOT updated their watch to WatchOS 9, but if and when they do, the digital crown on their watch will work the same as it does on your watch.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2023 4:57 PM in response to chicken-nugget123

Your signature suggests your watch is on WatchOS 9. The way the digital crown works is different on WatchOS 9. And what you're describing is the way it's now supposed to work. You cannot go back to how it was before WatchOS 9. It appears your friend has NOT updated their watch to WatchOS 9, but if and when they do, the digital crown on their watch will work the same as it does on your watch.

Jan 29, 2023 7:09 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Actually!!

The friends have older phones running older iOS versions which is keeping their watches from updating to watchOS 9

They think that they are all as up to date as up to date can be and they probably are considering their hardware.

One quick peek into their phones and watches and we'll know:

Settings, > General, > About

My money is that they are still on watchOS 8 or maybe even less

Digital Crown in Apple Watch set to press instead of turn.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.