You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad charging

Can I use a third party 65w charger to charge my 12.9 inch iPad Pro (5th gen)? What are the long term cons of using it?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 2:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 4:52 AM

While you can use an USB PD (Power Delivery) compliant Power Adapter to charge your iPad Pro, your iPad’s maximum fast-charging rate is limited to ~20W. USB PD Power Adapters, such as your 65W example, can operate at higher output voltages than the standard USB 5V output; the connected device (such as your iPad or Mac computer) “negotiate” the charging voltage during their initial connection.

While your iPad will derive no direct benefit from using a Power Adapter with a higher power rating, you will have additional power available within your “power-budget” to provide necessary power for other USB-connected peripheral devices (such as USB Hub, storage devices, wired keyboard etc) while maintaining sufficient power to charge the iPad at its maximum supported rate.

Assuming otherwise healthy Power Adapter and connected devices, the use of a high-power source offers no detriment to normal use. However, in the [hopefully] unlikely event of fault-condition occurring, greater power delivery from a high-power source can leading to greater potential damage. Using a Power Adapter of a lower-rating fundamentally limits the available power - in turn reducing the potential collateral damage should a fault-condition occur.

In summary, using a high-power (e.g., 65W) Power Adapter may be useful in some circumstances - and such use is completely benign and without detriment in most situations.

Would I consider leaving an iPad unnecessarily connected to 65W Power Adapter for an overnight (and unattended) charge? For an overnight charge, being mindful that faults can occur, I might better choose to use the supplied 20W USB Power Adapter.

I hope this insight and clarification proves to be helpful.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2023 4:52 AM in response to GeorgeReji

While you can use an USB PD (Power Delivery) compliant Power Adapter to charge your iPad Pro, your iPad’s maximum fast-charging rate is limited to ~20W. USB PD Power Adapters, such as your 65W example, can operate at higher output voltages than the standard USB 5V output; the connected device (such as your iPad or Mac computer) “negotiate” the charging voltage during their initial connection.

While your iPad will derive no direct benefit from using a Power Adapter with a higher power rating, you will have additional power available within your “power-budget” to provide necessary power for other USB-connected peripheral devices (such as USB Hub, storage devices, wired keyboard etc) while maintaining sufficient power to charge the iPad at its maximum supported rate.

Assuming otherwise healthy Power Adapter and connected devices, the use of a high-power source offers no detriment to normal use. However, in the [hopefully] unlikely event of fault-condition occurring, greater power delivery from a high-power source can leading to greater potential damage. Using a Power Adapter of a lower-rating fundamentally limits the available power - in turn reducing the potential collateral damage should a fault-condition occur.

In summary, using a high-power (e.g., 65W) Power Adapter may be useful in some circumstances - and such use is completely benign and without detriment in most situations.

Would I consider leaving an iPad unnecessarily connected to 65W Power Adapter for an overnight (and unattended) charge? For an overnight charge, being mindful that faults can occur, I might better choose to use the supplied 20W USB Power Adapter.

I hope this insight and clarification proves to be helpful.

Jan 28, 2023 4:02 AM in response to GeorgeReji

there are no cons

Watt  is like how fast your car can drive, but the speed limit is how fast your car do drive

the iphone draw as much current as it was build to use when charging, the fact that

a charger can provide a lot more just means it's not having its full capacitive used

you could use a 650watt charger if it output 5volt DC

Ipad charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.