You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ok, what happened to Pages

Here I go again. Ventura's the Mess this time. I downloaded Ventura 4 January 2023. I've been having numerous problems again, with Mail & other Apps This time I need to know what's up with [Ventura 13.1] Pages.

I mostly work with documents in Pages. I've been trying to work with 2 documents, to "combine" 2 pages of similar data. BUT 5 days ago, when I clicked on ONE Documentation the Pages Icon on the Doc, the Other Document was “REPLACED” by the one already had on the screen. WHY IS THAT?

This had not happened before, at least not since I had downloaded Ventura till recently & it's still happening. [would have come in sooner, but I've been trying to fix a mail problem since this happened]

Please Tell me this is NOT a "new function" in Pages! And Please tell me how to eliminate this obvious error by Ventura? I need to combine several pages and I need both on the screen - at the same time! Thanks for any one who can tell me how to Fix this, mille grazie a tutti

PS - Until the Mail & Pages is Fixed to respond properly, I won't consider updating to the next version of Ventura, as Every update to Monterey only made things work worse. I find it odd, that when a new OS comes out as .0 & within a month, there's a .1, a month later .2, till there were about 6 more "updates" - ad nausium! And Why does the upgrade from .0 to .1 take as long as the first download of a new OS?

Last, just curious, How come the developers can't get it right before they put it out there? Why do they put out "upgrades" every month & some sooner?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 6:09 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Jan 31, 2023 5:14 AM in response to Kathylpv

Kathylpv wrote:

As said above, Tom, nothing happens, No matter what I do to try to get 2 different documents, [I'm not talking about 2 pages of the same document] up on the screen. They are not "one on top of the other" but a second document replaces the other, so that's not easy to post a screenshot of.

Are you perhaps stuck in tab view? See if the text below taken from the user guide helps at all:

Jan 26, 2023 2:05 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Idris, I didn't even know what Stage Manager is . . . so looked it up in Search, or is that Spotlight? Any ole who, I looked in settings & it is Off. And fyi, I have not updated to the latest Ventura yet. I'm afraid it will only get worse.

My big problem right now is that I often work with 2 different documents on the screen at the same time, to compare, copy from one too the other, And I could easily move from one document to the other. I've been able to do that since I got my first mac [2006]. Both documents were on the screen at the same time.

But then last week, that changed! And I did nothing to change this. I just don't get it. How did this happen? One day I could have 2, sometimes 3 documents on the screen, & the next day it changed so I cann't have both pages up at the same time? [each from 2 different documents]. Now if I pull up one document, and then try to pull up a second document to the screen, the first document is gone - & visa versa. Makes comparisons & copying part of one to the other extremely difficult!

All this has been a pain-in-a-neck to do, for something I really need to be able to do.

Jan 26, 2023 4:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

Viking osx - Thanks, but I just followed your directions n tried to click on 2 Documents - pressed Open at the bottom. It Did Not Work !!! Maybe I got a corrupted Ventura OS 13 version?

I tried to get into my Time machine, had difficulty with that Too. When I finally got in, for some reason Time Machine only showed v 11.2 ? - though I've saved all, up until I got Ventura!?! [had stuff to trash first] But even that version only opens the Last document highlighted, not both documents I highlighted. AGUH

This is getting to be ridiculous! I've had SO many problems with Monterey, but Ventura is even worse! Nothing seems to work correctly.

So how can I get back v12.1 - as that OS, at least allowed me to have 2 or more documents up?

Jan 27, 2023 7:17 AM in response to Kathylpv

Without Pages running, you use the cmd-key to select n-tuple Pages documents in the Finder. On the last selected document you control-click/right-click/two-finger tap to open a secondary Finder menu and on that is the Open With > Pages menu item. That will definitely open all selected Pages documents in Pages v12.2.1 on Ventura.

If you select Pages File menu > Open… you can use the cmd-key to select n-tuple Pages documents in the File chooser, and when you click Open, all selected documents will open. However, as this is not the FInder to do a nice tiled open for you, the selected documents all open unaesthetically over one another.

Jan 28, 2023 9:42 AM in response to VikingOSX

Viking . . .

AGUH! I didn't understand what you were saying, so I tried it several ways [Please don't laugh at me, well, go ahead & laugh if you must}:

1] I pressed cmd key. pressed "n" & it went to Mail, with "[Pages for mac] - OK what happened to pages - Kathy !?! . . . 2] I figured you meant press in all the letters "n-tuple" - it went to Printer Settings.

SO, one by one, I pressed command, went to documents in finder, selected 2 documents, did the 2 right click on the mouse - etc . . . nada, same ole 1 page only. SO, I read it again [sometimes I just don't understand the jargon, or instructions, I didn't see press "control" - I'm dyslexic you see.]

Then I did the "control click right click 2 finger tap [on control?] - eventually, I got lost trying to figure out which key to use, double clic on control or mouse or ? Seems like a ton of stuff to do something that 1 day was Soooo easy, then next gone. Any ole who, I gave up, each new thing I tried, only 1 page came up. I have several complaints into "pages help" via NO to did this help?

I do appreciate your ideas to help, Viking, but I'm beginning to think this computer may just be a LEMON! It's only 1 year old! There are so many other oddities & Strange things happening, that I don't think are the way this mac was set up, or what anyone has done, since I'm the only one to look at settings, System Info, etc.

Only yesterday, we were on the net in the afternoon, went out, came back & had NO internet connection, I know enough to do the Connection Doctor, & WiFi all addys were red = off? I've been doing the "fixing" ours since our 1st computer [1991 dos], albeit with my son guiding me over the phone. I opened Settings, Network, n saw Ethernet, & Firewall were Not even listed - What the ???? I saw "other services" & found I could add all 3 back on. This time, I know the goof wasn't my husband's [he doesn't know squat about the innards of the computer. All he does is send/get mail n go on line.]

Someone told me to update to v 13.2 "it will fix it." But after a year of troubles, worse with Ventura 13.1, I'm skittish to do that, yet. I think this is a lost cause, or maybe I am. So, take care & again thanks for reaching out n trying.

Jan 30, 2023 10:02 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

As said above, Tom, nothing happens, No matter what I do to try to get 2 different documents, [I'm not talking about 2 pages of the same document] up on the screen. They are not "one on top of the other" but a second document replaces the other, so that's not easy to post a screenshot of.

What happened was: On 19 Jan, I had 2 documents up, by 20 Jan, only one, a second document selected would replace the other on the screen. I've tried every suggestion made here, even highlighting 2 documents & clicking Open - but Only the Last document clicked comes up. [& Ventura 13.2 hadn't even come out yet. So]

As said, I've had nothing but problems with this 1 year old mac - only it got worse with updating to Ventura. [I'd take any of the older mac OS's any day!]

This mac is a LEMON - but No one helps, not even our local Apple Store Genius' would look at it, they only do "hardware" not software [other than to wipe out your system!]. Mac has just lost a valued fan, since the Genius' used to help with software, and every upgrade seems to have more bugs in it than the last. I don't plan on updating to any new Ventura till someone recognizes mac doesn't work very well for the average user, like me.

Jan 31, 2023 6:01 AM in response to Kathylpv

The expression n-tuple is short for multiple, not a repetitious letter 'n'. So, selecting n-tuple Pages documents in the Finder is click the first one, and by continuously holding the cmd-key, click others for multiple selection. Afterward, release the cmd-key and control-click on the last selection to open a secondary Finder menu where you choose Open with Pages.

Jan 31, 2023 11:22 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

AGUH - I can't THANK YOU Enough, TOM,

I didn't understand what you meant about Tabs, nor come here to see [above screen shot] what you were talking about with "tabs" - But I did go to the link you sent me, found the Desktop /Doc, it took a while to find the Tabs line . . .

& YES, it was in "Always" - I tested it & Now can have 2 documents on the screen at the same time. You solved this problem, now I only hope it works with Mail, et al as well. One Ventura problem solved, multiple others to fix now . . . Still . . . Best & easiest answer to one problem.

So Tom, I Thank you, Thank you, Thank you & vada con dio a tutti

Jan 31, 2023 11:33 AM in response to VikingOSX

Viking, I figured that out, when it went to Printer settings . . . in short order, I could not figure out what to do with your instructions, none of what I tried worked.

Thankfully, Tom G, told me to go to Settings, Desktop / Doc [who would hav known to do that? it's Pages, not Doc or Desktop?] - & click Never for Tabs! - But I never changed it to Always? so How did it switch is an issue.

Still I thank each of you for trying to help me with this SO frustrating dilemma. It's WORKING! & Does for MAIL TOO!

Mille grazie a tutti e vada con dio a tutti

Ok, what happened to Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.