You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More external SSD problems: "Disk not ejected properly" when it's already ejected.

2021 MBP 14-inch, 32GB/1TB, 12.6.2.

SSD's attached through a CalDigit TB4 hub, normally stable and I don't get the "Disk not ejected properly" warning.

I do, however, get that warning when the SSD's are attached directly to the MBP. Same drives, same cables, etc. Followed almost all of the suggested steps in the forums here and other places.

One SSD (SanDisk 1TB) occasionally gives me the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" alert even when the disk is already unmounted.

If I physically detach the drive from the hub, the warnings stop, but the warnings will continue dozens of times every few minutes when the disk is unmounted but still physically attached.

If you're still reading, the other drive is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB in an Acasis enclosure. Works fine when attached to the Caldigit TS4 hub and TB4 cable, but the alert pops up sometimes every few minutes if the drive is mounted directly to the MBP.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 1:47 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 21, 2023 1:29 PM in response to David_Foster

If you are getting repeated notifications, then I suspect macOS is sensing the SSD has been reconnected which means something in that chain of devices is making it appear the SSD has be reconnected. It could be any device, adapter, cable, or maybe even the drive itself, or maybe the port on the laptop if the port is faulty.

If the SSD is connected directly to the Mac and you still have this problem, then most likely it is something to do with the drive itself or its cable, or the USB-C port on the laptop, although you still cannot completely rule out any other connected device from causing a problem. Try disconnecting all other external devices and testing the SSD by itself when connected directly to the laptop...try it on each laptop port as well.

Are you "ejecting" the SSD or just "unmounting" the SSD. There is a huge difference. If you are using the little arrow next to the mounted volume or dragging the volume to the Trash, then you are actually "ejecting" the SSD which first unmounts the volume followed by a "disconnect" of the SSD perhaps even powering it off...the only way to get macOS to physically an ejected drive is by physically disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it.

"Unmounting" the drive can be done in Disk Utility...where "unmounting" a volume will still leave the physical drive detected by macOS where macOS can communicate with the drive so it is possible to re-mount the volume without having to physically disconnect & reconnect the drive.

I'm guessing that you are actually "ejecting" the drive whereby the Mac is no longer able to communicate with the physical drive. In this case the drive must be physically disconnected & reconnected before a volume on the drive can be mounted again.

If, however, you eject the drive and you physically disconnect the SSD and you receive an "Disk not ejected properly" notification, then it just means that macOS did not have time to fully unmount the volume(s) located on that drive before you disconnected the cable from the laptop. I miss the days when macOS actually notified the user when it was safe to physically disconnect the drive from the Mac.

Jan 21, 2023 8:24 PM in response to David_Foster

The first page of that linked thread shows drives disconnecting on their own, then reconnecting. Your issue is a bit different....you are already manually "ejecting" the drive yourself and receiving the notifications afterwards. The posts on the first page of that linked thread are reporting that their external drives are disconnecting on their own, then reconnecting on their own. Perhaps they are related...there is a bit of similarity, but yours is the first time I've seen the issue occur after someone has ejected a drive, but left it connected. If it is a macOS issue, hopefully one of the next updates will resolve the issue, but it usually takes time for Apple to push out updates....assuming Apple is even aware of an issue.

Like I said before, the best way to confirm the issue is related to just that single drive is to disconnect all other external devices to see if it still happens to that drive. If it happens to that drive, then there is some sort of issue with that drive...perhaps a hardware issue (drive or computer), or perhaps some sort of compatibility issue. Unfortunately at this time there are not enough specific details from any of the reported cases to determine if a particular USB3 or Thunderbolt chipset is involved, or whether this is a more generic issue affecting multiple chipsets. Perhaps another drive from another brand will perform as expected (especially one utilizing a different USB3 or Thunderbolt chipset). As of now, it is just a crap shoot on what drive to try next since people have not provided enough details in any thread to help us provide an educated guess on a good drive to recommend trying next.

You can provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple will not respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

Jan 22, 2023 4:10 AM in response to HWTech

I understand the issue I reported is different than the thread I sent you. The Sandisk does occasionally disconnect without my involvement and the OS reports the "Disk not ejected properly" warning. I also understand that I am manually ejecting the disk before the OS alert - this is why I made this thread, to give people information about my experience.

Both the Samsung and the Sandisk repeated get this error when the drives are attached directly to the MBP.

More external SSD problems: "Disk not ejected properly" when it's already ejected.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.