You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot split screen with another window

I'm running Ventura 13.1. I work a lot with Microsoft Word, and like to put two documents side by side to work from. To do this, I maximize one window, then go to Mission Control by swiping up with 3 fingers and pulling one of the windows into that desktop with the maximized window.

After updating, I cannot do a split screen with two different windows as I used to before. Is this happening with anyone else? Is there a work-around?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 2:19 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 19, 2023 5:23 AM in response to nay-deen

nay-deen wrote:

I'm running Ventura 13.1. I work a lot with Microsoft Word, and like to put two documents side by side to work from. To do this, I maximize one window, then go to Mission Control by swiping up with 3 fingers and pulling one of the windows into that desktop with the maximized window.

After updating, I cannot do a split screen with two different windows as I used to before. Is this happening with anyone else? Is there a work-around?

hmmm....

If you can’t enter Split View

In macOS Ventura or later, choose Apple menu  > System Settings,

click Desktop & Dock in the sidebar, then scroll down on the right

and make sure that “Displays have separate Spaces” is turned on.

In earlier versions of macOS, choose Apple menu  > System

Preferences, click Mission Control, then make sure that “Displays have

separate Spaces” is selected.

ref: Use two Mac apps side by side in Split View - Apple Support

Use apps in Split View on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 19, 2023 9:26 AM in response to nay-deen

nay-deen wrote:

Thanks, but the "separate spaces" toggle was already on. When I try to run the split screen by long pressing on the green button on the top left corner of the window (not using the mission control method), I can set the window to one half of the screen, but the other Word window displays the words "Not Available in this Split View". However, I was able to have two Word documents side-by-side in split view before this update. I'm just not sure what happened.

If this isolated to your Microsoft Word— I would start there.

for third party software—

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

Microsoft support is very responsive and helpful.

https://support.microsoft.com

Ask the Microsoft Community—quite an active resource

https://answers.microsoft.com/

Jan 19, 2023 9:20 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, but the "separate spaces" toggle was already on. When I try to run the split screen by long pressing on the green button on the top left corner of the window (not using the mission control method), I can set the window to one half of the screen, but the other Word window displays the words "Not Available in this Split View". However, I was able to have two Word documents side-by-side in split view before this update. I'm just not sure what happened.

cannot split screen with another window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.