You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I cancel my Apple Music subscription, what happens to my iTunes library that I had before signing up for Apple Music?

If I cancel my Apple Music subscription, what happens to my iTunes library that I had before signing up for Apple Music?

I want to try out the Apple Music subscription, but have a question about the library and playlists I have BEFORE signing up with the subscription. If I decide to cancel the subscription, do I lose my original library and playlists I had thru iTunes or do I lose it all? If I lose what I had downloaded to iTunes before, it doesn’t seem worth it. I just want to be sure that I am able to keep everything I had complied BEFORE signing up.

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 12:17 PM

3 replies

Jan 14, 2023 1:28 PM in response to sabe314

An Apple Music subscription supposedly does not interfere with your local library. However, users who find (or think they have found) that Apple Music messed up their local library have become a common feature on this Forum.

Here is an example from today:

all my downloaded music was stolen from a… - Apple Community

Therefore, make a backup of your current local library before you start the subscription!

Jan 15, 2023 4:19 AM in response to sabe314

Ideally all of your own media would be stored locally, and backed up to an external drive, along with a copy of the library database, before you get started with Apple Music. That way if you decide to offload your local files for reasons of space, or to gain access to the higher quality versions in Apple Music, you can always revert to your original library when you decide to stop using Apple Music. Apple Music and iTunes Match should be treated as library syncing services, not a backup.

tt2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.