You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Won't start properly

Apple tv won't start unless I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. Then it works fine.

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 9:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 4:29 PM

At this time, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

10 replies

Jan 1, 2023 6:14 PM in response to Teknapp

When it doesn’t start (actually just before that), is the status light glowing continuously on the front of the box? If so, then the Apple TV box was already started up, just not selected for input on your TV.

Do you have the CEC settings activated on Apple TV, your TV, and optionally other HDMI equipment? That should make a difference, where new signals can be used to change the TV input automatically.

Jan 3, 2023 1:53 AM in response to Teknapp

When it happens again, try using the TV remote to select for input the HDMI port to which the Apple TV box connects. Then that should work without restarting or replugging.

If it happens again after that, try disconnecting the HDMI cable on both ends, then reconnect. That should reset the HDMI connection, including CEC handshake.

It it happens again after that, do a cold restart for both the TV and the Apple TV box at the same time.

Jan 7, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Done all that and I am still having a problem. I have unplugged and replugged the HDMI cables. I have unplugged the Apple TV and my TV (Samsung). Still not back to normal. I was able to get it to the point where I can select the source on the TV and the Apple TV is there and will work. But I have not been able to get it back to the point where I can just use the Apple TV remote to start and automatically switch to Apple TV.

Jan 7, 2023 4:20 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Yes this tv does support this CEC feature of switching input to a connected streaming device automatically. It was working properly up until a few weeks ago. We are slowing arriving at the inevitable conclusion that the problem lies with the Apple TV device itself. What do we do now? I note the product is still within the warranty period.

Apple TV Won't start properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.