You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact account switching

I am wondering if it is possible to switch the account that my contacts are stored on?

Here is the situation:

When I signed in to my university email account it was made the default account for contacts on my phone. This means that every contact that I entered into my phone was saved on the cloud of my university's exchange server. I have graduated and the account has been deleted but the contacts are still on my phone/laptop. There is not really a problem other than the fact that I am getting a prompt to enter my password for that Microsoft Exchange account fairly often on my phone but I get it a lot on my laptop and it is disrupting my work.

So, is it possible to move these contacts from my Microsoft Exchange account to my Gmail or iCloud without re-entering each individual contact?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 3:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 12:53 PM

Hello zander36,

Yes, it should be possible to move the contacts.

To start, you'll need to export the contacts from the account you currently have them stored in. Here's a guide from Microsoft on doing that: Export contacts from Outlook

Once you have the contacts exported into a file, you can then import that file to the account you want them stored in.

If you're storing to an iCloud account, use these steps:

1. In Contacts on iCloud.com, click Settings (the gear icon) in the sidebar, then choose Import vCard.
2. Select a vCard to import.

Import or export a vCard in Contacts on iCloud.com

If you're storing to Gmail, here's a guide from them on importing contacts: Add, move, or import contacts

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2022 12:53 PM in response to zander36

Hello zander36,

Yes, it should be possible to move the contacts.

To start, you'll need to export the contacts from the account you currently have them stored in. Here's a guide from Microsoft on doing that: Export contacts from Outlook

Once you have the contacts exported into a file, you can then import that file to the account you want them stored in.

If you're storing to an iCloud account, use these steps:

1. In Contacts on iCloud.com, click Settings (the gear icon) in the sidebar, then choose Import vCard.
2. Select a vCard to import.

Import or export a vCard in Contacts on iCloud.com

If you're storing to Gmail, here's a guide from them on importing contacts: Add, move, or import contacts

Cheers!

Contact account switching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.