You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud family sharing vs personal iCloud storage

I have an existing iCloud account, but am now invited to use a family sharing iCloud account. In my iPhone, I can only use the personal acct or the share acct, but not both. If I join the family sharing plan, what happens to all the info in my personal iCloud acct? Will all of my data move to the shared account in which case could I then cancel my personal iCloud storage account? Thank you.

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 9:35 AM

When you use a shared iCloud storage plan, you continue to use your Apple ID for iCloud as you always have. The storage stays where it is and is accessed in the same way. Only the billing and amount of storage change. When you switch to the shared plan the billing for your current plan is automatically cancelled. See information in Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support including the following:

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud+ plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 26, 2022 9:35 AM in response to morganmusic1

When you use a shared iCloud storage plan, you continue to use your Apple ID for iCloud as you always have. The storage stays where it is and is accessed in the same way. Only the billing and amount of storage change. When you switch to the shared plan the billing for your current plan is automatically cancelled. See information in Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support including the following:

If a family member is already paying for their own iCloud+ plan, they can choose to switch to your plan or keep their own and still remain part of the family. When they switch to the shared family plan, they get a refund for the remainder of their personal plan. They can't keep their current plan and use the shared family plan at the same time.

iCloud family sharing vs personal iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.