You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get past update ‘watchOS 8.7.1’

I recently received an Apple Watch Series 3 from a relative who was the previous owner of said watch. When I tried to pair the watch to my phone (iPhone XR updated to iOS 16) I discovered that the watch needed to update to 8.7.1. I tried this, and after taking about an hour to complete the update, it did it again. This continued a few times. I tried restarting the watch (one of the limited things I can do with it due to the fact it is not set up yet) and also tried restarting my iPhone. It has been 2 days of trying this repeated process now. I have also fully backed up my iPhone as that was suggested by another forum. If anyone has any advice as to how I can get past this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 7:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 3:16 PM

Hi erinfarm,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

First we want to be sure your iPhone is running iOS 16.2 inside of Settings > General > About to make sure this isn't related to an outdated version of iOS. Here's how to Update your iPhone or iPad.

Next take the iPhone out of Low Power Mode in Settings > Battery. This might be preventing the download.

Restarting all devices can also resolve minor issues. We do understand you have tried this, but try once more after the above instructions are complete.

Testing on another Wi-Fi network if possible can also help isolate the issue further.

If that still isn't working to get the Apple Watch updated, go to the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and General > Storage. Delete the update. Then place on the charger and try updating once again.

Finally, if the Apple Watch still won't update, you will want to contact Apple Support for a deeper dive.

Have a fantastic day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2022 3:16 PM in response to erinfarm

Hi erinfarm,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

First we want to be sure your iPhone is running iOS 16.2 inside of Settings > General > About to make sure this isn't related to an outdated version of iOS. Here's how to Update your iPhone or iPad.

Next take the iPhone out of Low Power Mode in Settings > Battery. This might be preventing the download.

Restarting all devices can also resolve minor issues. We do understand you have tried this, but try once more after the above instructions are complete.

Testing on another Wi-Fi network if possible can also help isolate the issue further.

If that still isn't working to get the Apple Watch updated, go to the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and General > Storage. Delete the update. Then place on the charger and try updating once again.

Finally, if the Apple Watch still won't update, you will want to contact Apple Support for a deeper dive.

Have a fantastic day!

Unable to get past update ‘watchOS 8.7.1’

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.