You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Monterey - Finder Sidebar lost my preferences

After my upgrade to Monterey, the sidebar of my Finder only has :

iCloud

iCloud Drive

Shared

Locations

Hammerhead (computer name)

Dropbox

Macintosh HD

While my Finder Preferences shows a different story:

Why is this? I tried dragging items into the sidebar, that does nothing. Grr.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 12:37 PM

Hi there acmwallace,

In the sidebar, hover the cursor just to the right of the word "Favorites," above "iCloud Drive," then click the disclosure triangle to reveal the selected Favorites.

We hope this helps!

4 replies

Dec 12, 2022 11:38 AM in response to acmwallace

Hello acmwallace,

Without seeing exactly what Finder is showing, we would suggest that you look through these steps on how to customize Finder from Customize the Finder toolbars on Mac - Apple Support:

Customize the sidebar
1. On your Mac, click the Finder icon  in the Dock to open a Finder window.
2. Do any of the following:
• Hide or show the sidebar: Choose View > Hide Sidebar, or View > Show Sidebar, in the menu bar. (If Show Sidebar is dimmed, choose View > Show Toolbar.)
• Resize the sidebar: Drag the right side of the divider bar to the right or left.
• Change what’s in the sidebar: Choose Finder > Settings, click Sidebar, then select or deselect items.
• Rearrange items in the sidebar: Drag an item to a new location.
• Show or hide all the items in a section of the sidebar: Position the pointer over the section heading until the Hide button  or the Show button  appears, then click the button. For example, to temporarily hide your Favorites, position the pointer over the Favorites heading in the sidebar, then click the Hide button .
• Add a folder or disk to the sidebar: Drag the item to the Favorites section. If you don’t see the Favorites section, choose Finder > Settings, click Sidebar, then select at least one item in the Favorites section.
• Adding an item to the Finder sidebar only creates a shortcut to the item; the item isn’t moved from its original location.
• Add a file to the sidebar: Press and hold the Command key, then drag the file to the Favorites section. If you don’t see the Favorites section, choose Finder > Settings > Sidebar, then select at least one item in the Favorites section.
• Adding a file to the Finder sidebar only creates a shortcut to the file; the file isn’t moved from its original location.
• Add an app to the sidebar: Press and hold the Command key, then drag the app icon to the Favorites section.
• Remove an item: Drag the item’s icon out of the sidebar until you see the remove sign .
The link to the item in the sidebar disappears, but the item remains in its original location on your Mac.

Using the steps above, you should be able to create the view you are looking for.

Have a good day.

Dec 12, 2022 2:33 PM in response to srbwanderer

Well, I went through most of those. Here is a more complete view. Note that I have many things chosen to appear in the sidebar, but very few are there. I have tried turning on and off different items. Nothing in the favorites category will show up, though it seems that the iCloud options work, and Location and Tags sections as well. Though interestingly, selecting the "Cloud Storage" option under Locations shows Dropbox.

MacOS Monterey - Finder Sidebar lost my preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.