You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

saving text messages

how to save a text message to computer

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 8:50 AM

paus_d_ wrote:

Text messages are automatically backed up to your computer so need to do it. Hope this helps!

That's not exactly true. If you have a Mac using the same Apple ID, iMessages will appear on both devices. If you also have Text Message Forwarding enabled on the iPhone, SMS messages will appear on the Mac. This is not a "back up", though, it's syncing. If you have iCloud Syncing enabled, messages are not part of the iPhone back up. And, when iCloud Syncing is enabled, deleing a message from one device will delete it from all of them.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2022 8:50 AM in response to paus_d_

paus_d_ wrote:

Text messages are automatically backed up to your computer so need to do it. Hope this helps!

That's not exactly true. If you have a Mac using the same Apple ID, iMessages will appear on both devices. If you also have Text Message Forwarding enabled on the iPhone, SMS messages will appear on the Mac. This is not a "back up", though, it's syncing. If you have iCloud Syncing enabled, messages are not part of the iPhone back up. And, when iCloud Syncing is enabled, deleing a message from one device will delete it from all of them.

Dec 7, 2022 8:55 PM in response to paus_d_

I was wanting to save so that I can print a text so that I can save it.... It is from a mean person and I want to delete and block the person from Texting me ever again. and I wanted to have a copy for the future, in case I needed.

It looks like I would need an application to be able to save as a pdf. I was able to print some of it but the printing feature on my Mac did not print all of the text.

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2022 8:19 AM in response to Didedo2018

Didedo2018 wrote:

I know that .... I need to print or save them as a pdf or file of some type. I guess I wasn't specific enough. I need to save for potential conflict proceedings.
thanks anyways for taking the time.

And I provided an answer for that:

Try using an application such as PhoneView (Mac) or TouchCopy (Mac or Windows). Both will allow you to save your text messages as a text or pdf file for easy archiving and printing.

saving text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.