You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many files on my Mac?

There was a thread "How many files?" a while ago, where the author, eventide0, asked how many files were on his Mac. Seems people couldn't answer his question, not because it was unreasonable, but because it didn't fit into the structure they were accustomed to working with. Apparently it is all about volume, nobody cares about the numbers of files.

The poster had a business reason for wanting to know, I have a practical reason for doing so.

I have installed new anti-virus software, and it is busily scanning my 27" 1TB Mac. It is currently at 850, 000, and I simply want to know how long it will be, has it got another 100, 1000, 10,000, million, trillion files to go? Can I go and have a cup of tea, come back and find it done, or must I leave it and go to bed? Will it still be doing it all tomorrow?

Not the end of the world, but it seems such a simple question to ask. I don't mind being told "It cannot be done", but even that answer cannot be found.

So, please, is there way of finding the total number of files on my Mac?

iMac 27″, 12.6

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 8:24 AM

chuns wrote:

In Disk Utility, you can select a volume and choose "Get Info" using a right click or control click. This will display a table of various pieces of information about the volume, including total file count.

For reference, my system has 5,043,573 files.

Just so you know, an antivirus app would only need to scan about 10-15 files on the average computer. The rest is just for Security Theatre.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2022 8:24 AM in response to chuns

chuns wrote:

In Disk Utility, you can select a volume and choose "Get Info" using a right click or control click. This will display a table of various pieces of information about the volume, including total file count.

For reference, my system has 5,043,573 files.

Just so you know, an antivirus app would only need to scan about 10-15 files on the average computer. The rest is just for Security Theatre.

Dec 7, 2022 7:57 AM in response to chuns

2 Cents from here

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11,  Monterey macOS 12, Ventura macOS 13, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User and protects against from “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Dec 6, 2022 8:37 AM in response to etresoft

Brilliant. Spot on. Having checked I now know I can carry on with my project later on. I am so grateful to know it won't take much more time.

I had always believed that Macs were 'safer' than PCs because of technical reasons, and because there weren't as many of them and it wasn't worth the effort of trying to access them illegally.

From what you, and your predecessors in this thread, have implied would I be exposed to the same risk, with or without anti-virus and other 'protections'? As a home user I don't relish the thought of having to get somebody to salvage my records in the event of an attack. If the risk is more or less the same, I won't bother renewing next year, as I don't suppose they will refund me now!!

Thanks to all who have given me the courtesy of a reply.

Best wishes,

Peter

Dec 6, 2022 1:29 PM in response to chuns

chuns wrote:

I had always believed that Macs were 'safer' than PCs because of technical reasons

That's true. Pretty much everything you hear about security with respect to Apple products is because of social and financial reasons. There is big, big money in keeping people in fear. Many people have made it their careers to spread misinformation with an #apple tag because they know that nothing brings the clicks like Apple does. Did you know that Apple's biggest competitors literally have entire divisions dedicated to hacking Apple products, in the "public interest", course.

From what you, and your predecessors in this thread, have implied would I be exposed to the same risk, with or without anti-virus and other 'protections'?

No. Using third party antivirus puts you at additional risk. If literally the only bad thing in the world were Mac malware, then maybe it might be a good idea to have some protection from it. But low-quality software causes many times more problems for Mac users that malware ever has. And of that low-quality software, nothing is lower in quality, more deeply embedded into the operating system, more difficult to remove, or causes more problems than "security" products. The cure is far worse than the disease.

As a home user I don't relish the thought of having to get somebody to salvage my records in the event of an attack.

What kind of attack? Do you want to try a fun exercise? Try to find out exactly what Mac malware actually does. You'll hear a lot about exploits, zero-days, command controls, RATs, rootkits - it goes on and on. But really, what does it do? Simple question.

On other platforms, the answer is easy. For Windows, it is open season for ransomware. With all the school boards, hospitals, and city governments of the world, all running Windows, their only defence is simply the vast number to be hacked. How to decide which one to attack?

For Linux, it is theft of personal and financial information. All of your bank data, your government data, your medical data, everything about you is sitting on a Linux server somewhere. Again, the only protection is the vast amount of data to be hacked. Where to start? Which unencrypted Amazon Web Services container to download? At least AWS assigns these resources with randomly-generated identifiers. You have to download 37 GB just to find out what's on it. And there are several million to pick from. For this data, I'm sure you've already been hacked multiple times, just like the rest of us. And yet, everyone is so worried about their Macs?

If the risk is more or less the same, I won't bother renewing next year, as I don't suppose they will refund me now!!

It doesn't really matter. Whether you pay or not, you probably won't be able to uninstall it without wiping your entire hard drive. When you restore, make sure to restore only user data and user accounts. Do not restore any applications, software, or "other files". You can then manually reinstall only the apps you really want.

Dec 7, 2022 5:36 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you for that informative and clarifying response. I appreciate the effort you put into it. There is good advice for me to consider and act upon.

Half of me says I should inform myself more, but I find myself on the edge of a sphere of knowledge without the basic understanding needed. Using the age old adage, my wife doesn't know how a car works, but she drives it OK. I would like to know more, but I don't want to do a Mechanic's Apprenticeship, or go to Tech College.

Best wishes,

Peter

Dec 7, 2022 7:03 AM in response to chuns

chuns wrote:

Using the age old adage, my wife doesn't know how a car works, but she drives it OK. I would like to know more, but I don't want to do a Mechanic's Apprenticeship, or go to Tech College.

But there is an age old answer. You don't need all that book learnin', just some common sense.

Does your wife speed in school zones, drive drunk, or run stop signs? Does she wear a seat belt? Does she wear a crash helmet that obscures her vision? Did she take a screwdriver and wire snippers and disable the air bags as instructed on the internet? Did you pay a 3rd party mechanic to reduce the top speed and acceleration of the engine, but also disable the brakes?

That's the Mac security industry in a nutshell. The device comes with all the security you need, already built-in. You can still do risky things if you want. You can try and do a better job on your own. When has the internet ever misinformed anyone? You can pay someone extra money to reduce the performance and usability that you already paid a premium to Apple for.

Dec 7, 2022 7:30 AM in response to chuns

chuns wrote:

Using the age old adage, my wife doesn't know how a car works, but she drives it OK. I would like to know more, but I don't want to do a Mechanic's Apprenticeship, or go to Tech College.

Just hang around here. You can get a lot of info pretty quickly. You will also learn which posters - generally ones with high levels - can be trusted. Such as etresoft and hcsitas.

How many files on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.