You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no permanent display item in my menu bar?

I am running MacOS12.6.1 on my MacBook Air and MacOS12.6 on my MacBook Pro (similar age). On the Pro, I have two icons permanently displaying in my menu bar: A "display" icon AND a "screen mirroring/extension" icon. BOTH of these are absent on my MacBook Air - WHY? There is NOTHING in the "Display Preferences" that would allow me to set these 2 menu items to show up in the menu bar. Of course, I can go through "Display Preferences" everytime I want to connect to another screen (e.g., iPad or TV), but why not have that option permanently displayed in the menu bar? And why not on a MacBook Air (with about the same screen size) when it is quite possible on a MacBook Pro? And, no, my MacBook Air does NOT always "sense" when there is another screen available unless I plug one in through a hardwired connection.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 5:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 6:01 AM

Sorry for bugging everyone - apparently I needed to write this to realize that the relevant settings are of course in the "Dock & Menu Bar" Preferences - so I was able to fix my own problem.

1 reply

Why is there no permanent display item in my menu bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.