You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get MacBook Air to update to Monterey...

Hello From Australia,

Long story short I borrowed a spare MacBook Air which had definitely had Monterey running on it, On top of that I had also used Bootcamp to install Windows.

When I retuned itI copied the data I wanted to keep, removed my Apple ID & wiped it however I wasn't expecting it to revert to the os version it shipped with (10.13), Is that normal or have I messed up something when wiping it? Anywho, now it will not update to Monterey.

It was able to install some newer versions of macOS using the App Store or System Settings>Updates but It's not wanting to do Monterey.

• I've tried searching the App Store & it won't show

• I've tried Check for Updates via system settings

• I've tried via Terminal with softwareupdate -l

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'll have access to the laptop soon so I'll amend this with its model number & which macOS is installed.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 11:22 AM

SeanToohey wrote:
When I retuned itI copied the data I wanted to keep, removed my Apple ID & wiped it however I wasn't expecting it to revert to the os version it shipped with (10.13), Is that normal or have I messed up something when wiping it?

Depends on what you did to wipe it exactly. There is a process to get it to install the original OS it came with, you may have done that.

It was able to install some newer versions of macOS using the App Store or System Settings>Updates but It's not wanting to do Monterey.

If you installed something from the Mac App Store you probably only saw the most recent version available which currently is Ventura. Older versions are no longer directly available from the Mac App Store unless using a direct link.

You can get Monterey form the links here: click here ➜ How to download macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2022 11:22 AM in response to SeanToohey

SeanToohey wrote:
When I retuned itI copied the data I wanted to keep, removed my Apple ID & wiped it however I wasn't expecting it to revert to the os version it shipped with (10.13), Is that normal or have I messed up something when wiping it?

Depends on what you did to wipe it exactly. There is a process to get it to install the original OS it came with, you may have done that.

If you installed something from the Mac App Store you probably only saw the most recent version available which currently is Ventura. Older versions are no longer directly available from the Mac App Store unless using a direct link.

You can get Monterey form the links here: click here ➜ How to download macOS - Apple Support

Can't get MacBook Air to update to Monterey...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.