You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resolution Issue on Macbook Air M2

I've noticed a problem / bug that whenever I connect my external display at work to my mba M2, the resolution changes to what seems like 16:9 and the screen shrinks. It does not change back when I disconnect the monitor.

I have to reboot the Mac to get the screen back to its normal resolution. Changing it in the display change in system preferences does nothing.

This only happens if connect the monitor on login screen. I run Monterey 12.6.1, but it happens to my colleague who runs 13.0.1 aswell.

Pic above screen is bugged. the screen is shrunk by 0,3 cm all around

pic above - screen is normal

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Nov 23, 2022 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2022 4:04 PM

Hey Styrkinator,

We'd recommend reviewing the information in this article as the steps to address display issues may be helpful for your situation: If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry when connected to your Mac - Apple Support

"Adjust the resolution

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences, then click Displays.
  2. macOS Displays System Preferences External Display Settings

3. In Display Settings, select the external display in the sidebar, then press and hold the Option key while you click Scaled to see additional resolutions.
  4. Extended display additional scaled resolutions window
  5. Select a resolution, then click Done.

If the expected resolution doesn't appear for your display, check the specifications page to see what display resolutions your Mac supports."

If that doesn't help, we'd suggest testing to see if the same issue occurs in safe mode, as that would help isolate the issue further. This article explains how: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window."

Thanks!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 24, 2022 4:04 PM in response to Styrkinator

Hey Styrkinator,

We'd recommend reviewing the information in this article as the steps to address display issues may be helpful for your situation: If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry when connected to your Mac - Apple Support

"Adjust the resolution

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences, then click Displays.
  2. macOS Displays System Preferences External Display Settings

3. In Display Settings, select the external display in the sidebar, then press and hold the Option key while you click Scaled to see additional resolutions.
  4. Extended display additional scaled resolutions window
  5. Select a resolution, then click Done.

If the expected resolution doesn't appear for your display, check the specifications page to see what display resolutions your Mac supports."

If that doesn't help, we'd suggest testing to see if the same issue occurs in safe mode, as that would help isolate the issue further. This article explains how: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window."

Thanks!

Resolution Issue on Macbook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.