You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Not Saving Music Library Location

I am using iTunes 12126.1.54048.0 on Windows 10.

I want to move the music library to a NAS.

I go to Edit...Preferences...Advanced and change the location of the library to the NAS drive.

I know it works because if I go to Files...Library...Organize Library, I see the music files being copied to the NAS.

The problem occurs when I close iTunes and then open it again.

When I do this, the library location goes back to what it was before I moved it to the NAS drive.

Any advice?

Thanks!

John

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 1:14 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 22, 2022 1:48 PM in response to JohnInBrooklyn

Hello JohnInBrooklyn,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

It seems you were following these steps:

"Change where imported files are stored

You can change where your iTunes media files are stored.

Important: For best results, don’t change the location of the iTunes folder or the folders inside it.

1. In the iTunes app  on your PC, choose Edit > Preferences, then click Advanced.
  2. Click Change, then select a new location for your files.

From now on, new songs and other items you import will be stored in the new location. Songs you’ve already imported stay in their current location.

Tip: If you want to now move your current files to the new location. see Consolidate your files in the iTunes folder

To go back to storing imported files in the iTunes folder, choose Edit > Preferences, click Advanced, then click Reset."

After reviewing this article: Change where iTunes files are stored on PC

We would recommend reinstalling iTunes using this article: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

If the issue persists, we would recommend contacting Apple directly.

You can do so by going to Get Support.

Cheers!

Nov 24, 2022 6:36 AM in response to JohnInBrooklyn

Hi John,

There is a bug in recent builds of iTunes (make that 3 years now) that, at least for some users, seems to stop the media folder preference from being saved properly. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community and put your library in a shape that isn't affected by the issue, and is easier to backup and move around in future.

iTunes isn't guaranteed to play nicely with NAS, and iTunes performance will drop if the active .itl file is stored on the NAS. I'd recommend putting the library on a locally connected external drive in the portable layout, which you then clone to your NAS for backup/and or for use as a shared network copy of your library.

tt2

iTunes Not Saving Music Library Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.