You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-install MacBook Air 2017

Hi,

I am trying to re-install Monterey on my MacBook Air 2017.

Ive erased disk several times as extended Journal.

when installing the Monterey this (see picture) suddenly appears.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 5:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 2:39 AM

HvepseBo wrote:

Hi HWTech,

Thank you.

But I actually manage to re-install it through online re-installation of MacOS that it was build with (Sierra).

So seems to be working again, but I can't update my MacOS... just saying "No updates available"

But I can see on google, that I just have to wait a few hours, and hopefully I can update to a newer version.

If I understand correctly, the user was successful in reinstalling OS X 10.12 Sierra ?

If that is true - any additional updates in Sierra would only look for update to Sierra like moving from Sierra 10.12.4 to say Sierra 10.12.6

To upGrade, as in moving from Sierra 10.12.6 to say Monterey 12.6.1 will never be found in check for updates

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence.

Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade

macOS Big Sur 11 hardware requirements

macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements

macOS Mojave 10.14 hardware requirements

macOS High Sierra 10.13 hardware requirements

macOS Sierra 10.12 hardware requirements

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful 

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may require an update or upGrades to 64 Bit Version

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2022 2:39 AM in response to HvepseBo

HvepseBo wrote:

Hi HWTech,

Thank you.

But I actually manage to re-install it through online re-installation of MacOS that it was build with (Sierra).

So seems to be working again, but I can't update my MacOS... just saying "No updates available"

But I can see on google, that I just have to wait a few hours, and hopefully I can update to a newer version.

If I understand correctly, the user was successful in reinstalling OS X 10.12 Sierra ?

If that is true - any additional updates in Sierra would only look for update to Sierra like moving from Sierra 10.12.4 to say Sierra 10.12.6

To upGrade, as in moving from Sierra 10.12.6 to say Monterey 12.6.1 will never be found in check for updates

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence.

Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade

macOS Big Sur 11 hardware requirements

macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements

macOS Mojave 10.14 hardware requirements

macOS High Sierra 10.13 hardware requirements

macOS Sierra 10.12 hardware requirements

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful 

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may require an update or upGrades to 64 Bit Version

Dec 4, 2022 5:18 PM in response to HvepseBo

Does your laptop currently boot any OS on the internal drive at the moment? If so, what OS?

Did you happen to install any third party apps or restore from a backup already? Perhaps you have some third party software that is interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Typical culprits are anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software.

You seem to be attempting to install macOS Monterey while booted into macOS, so instead try installing Monterey while booted into Safe Mode which will prevent third party apps from launching automatically during boot & login.

Otherwise, either install Monterey from a bootable macOS USB installer or from Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R). Unfortunately sometimes Internet Recovery Mode may only access the older online macOS installer for the OS which originally shipped with the laptop from the factory regardless of the key command used to access Internet Recovery Mode. If you try to install macOS over top of itself using a USB installer or Internet Recovery Mode, then make sure to select the "Macintosh HD" volume as the destination volume and not the volume with "Data" in the name or you will end up with multiple "Data" volumes.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you still have problems, then run the following command from the Terminal app and post the results here:

diskutil  list  internal

Nov 13, 2022 1:19 PM in response to HWTech

Hi HWTech,

Thank you.

Re-install MacBook Air 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.