You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SeaMonkey not working on Ventura

SeaMonkey not working on Ventura. How to fix such a troublesome situation?

I read people have contacted SeaMonkey developers but how long is it going to take to have a compatible version?

I wish Apple had informed me that this app wouldn't work if I installed Ventura. Which I wouldn't have done...

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 1:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 2:08 AM

SeaMonkeyIssue wrote:

I read people have contacted SeaMonkey developers but how long is it going to take to have a compatible version?

A - Guess you need to communicate with the Developer to get that answer.

This is not a flippant reply , as only the maker of SeaMonkey and give an accurate time-line.

A - Apple has made it available to Developers of Third Party Applications to Test their Software against new versions of macOS while the OS was still in Beta Testing.

That is, if the Developer cares to Test their Software on the Beta Ventura .

It was in Beta Test for a good period of time before the final Release Date on October 24, 2022

A- In the meantime alternate Browser maybe available Browsers by Mac operating system

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 5, 2022 2:08 AM in response to SeaMonkeyIssue

SeaMonkeyIssue wrote:

A - Guess you need to communicate with the Developer to get that answer.

This is not a flippant reply , as only the maker of SeaMonkey and give an accurate time-line.

A - Apple has made it available to Developers of Third Party Applications to Test their Software against new versions of macOS while the OS was still in Beta Testing.

That is, if the Developer cares to Test their Software on the Beta Ventura .

It was in Beta Test for a good period of time before the final Release Date on October 24, 2022

A- In the meantime alternate Browser maybe available Browsers by Mac operating system

Nov 5, 2022 6:02 AM in response to PRP_53

But SeaMonkey has a webpage composer mode, where you can WYSIWYG edit your own webpages (free).

I am not aware of this feature in any other web browser. If there is, that would be good to know.

Having said that, P.Phillips is correct in that it was the SeaMonkey’s developers responsibility to test their software on operating system beta releases, before the operating software releases.

Apple releases a new major macOS release on a regular Fall schedule, and no macOS developer should be caught unaware it is coming.

Personally I use Safari (main), Brave and sometimes Firefox, and if and only if there is no other way, Chrome (happens maybe once a year).

But I edit a group webpage (at work) with SeaMonkey.

Nov 5, 2022 7:03 AM in response to SeaMonkeyIssue

Even a simple browse of the SeaMonkey site shows their commitment to X86_64 builds for macOS and not a whimper about any intention to provide a future ARM64E or Universal2 binary for macOS. We always encourage users to first verify that their third-party applications are stated by the vendor to be compatible with the intended operating system upgrade.

If the current build does not run on Ventura with Rosetta2, then the user is faced with building their own ARM64E compatible build from SeaMonkey source code using Apple's developer tools while inherently resolving all of the build dependencies, or doing without Sea Monkey on M1/M2 Macs.

Nov 5, 2022 7:32 AM in response to BobHarris

BobHarris wrote:

It is apparently something in Ventura.

It is without any doubt a problem in the Seamonkey code. If they had done it right in the first place, it would work.

Apple Silicon is two years old now. That compose mode sounds cool. Unfortunately, the Seamonkey project is most definitely dead and abandoned. There is no other explanation.

Nov 9, 2022 10:11 AM in response to SeaMonkeyIssue

I have the same problem and I cannot open SeaMonkey since the use of Ventura. I cannot update my webpages. I did not receive any answer from Mozilla and I sent 2 hours with staff of Apple without any satisfying solutions (people do not understand what I am try to explain to them!...). Is there any alternative solution if SeaMonkey-Mozilla do not update its soft?

Dec 16, 2022 10:42 AM in response to etresoft

BobHarris wrote:
It is apparently something in Ventura.

etresoft wrote:
It is without any doubt a problem in the Seamonkey code. If they had done it right in the first place, it would work.

Apple Silicon is two years old now. That compose mode sounds cool. Unfortunately, the Seamonkey project is most definitely dead and abandoned. There is no other explanation.

OK, it is something in SeaMonkey that does not like a Ventura change.

Dec 17, 2022 12:11 PM in response to Paul Conaway

Paul Conaway wrote:

Bob, would running SeaMonkey in a VM be a possibility?

If you are talking a Monterey (or older) VM, then sure.

But going to the SeaMonkey website, there is also a beta that is attempting to address the Ventura issues.

I'm still on Monterey, mostly because my day job has me working on Unix file system development on the kernel side, and I've been invoked in many an operating system release. I almost never upgrade to the .0 release of any operating system, on any platform, unless I have to do it for development purposes.

I wait until the .1, .2, .3 or so release, depending on how the windows are blowing in forums such as this, and various Mac related blogs. I’ve even been known to skip entire releases (Big Sur for example, and Mountain Lion; I wanted to skip Lion, but I got a new Mac that came with Lion, so I had no choice).

I'll get around to Ventura sometime next year after all the .0 issues have been addressed, and most of the company I work for has switched over the Ventura

SeaMonkey not working on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.