You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally merged iCloud Photos with husband

I began using my husband's old iPad when he got a new one. All his iCloud Photos were on the old iPad and when I signed it in with my Apple ID, I somehow merged our Photos.

I signed my Apple ID out straight away, but all his Photos are still in my iCloud and devices (taking up my iPhone memory). It was just that one sync, so they haven't continued to sync, but I have all his Photos up until that date and I want to get rid of them because my phone memory is almost full.

If I delete from my iCloud/devices, will they also delete from his iCloud/devices even though we are no longer synced up anywhere? Thank you!

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 2:59 AM

It will only sync within an Apple ID, but it can be tricky if you change Apple IDs.

I would recommend that you both run a full backup on both your accounts, just to be save ;-)

Please ensure that you are signed in with the correct Apple ID and delete a few photos.

Then wait 24 hours and check if it has deleted them only from your account.

If something goes wrong you can restore them from "Recently Deleted Folder".

As soon as you have done the test it should be save to delete all photos.

Ralf

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 5, 2022 2:59 AM in response to Data Losing Idiot

It will only sync within an Apple ID, but it can be tricky if you change Apple IDs.

I would recommend that you both run a full backup on both your accounts, just to be save ;-)

Please ensure that you are signed in with the correct Apple ID and delete a few photos.

Then wait 24 hours and check if it has deleted them only from your account.

If something goes wrong you can restore them from "Recently Deleted Folder".

As soon as you have done the test it should be save to delete all photos.

Ralf

Nov 5, 2022 3:49 AM in response to Data Losing Idiot

Be very, very careful, before you delete photos from your iPhone. The backup of your iPhone does not include any photos that are stored in iCloud Photos. Any photo you delete will be gone.

If you have a computer, download all your photos from the iCloud web pages at www.icloud.com from your husband's Apple ID and from your AppleID, to save them somewhere, before you proceed to separat your photos again.

Do not delete any of your husband's photos, while you are signed into his APpleID.

Only after switching to your own AppleID.

Accidentally merged iCloud Photos with husband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.