You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USA Apple Watch (Cellular + GPS) in Europe

I purchased an apple watch 6 with cellular + GPS in the USA but I live in Spain. I just realized that this watch will not work in Spain, however, I read here that someone was able to get it to work using Vodafone (and apparently Orange may be another option as well). My mobile service provider is Movistar / O2, which is great, I would not want to switch, thus, I have two questions:

• Would a plan from Orange/Vodafone work with my Apple Watch Series 6 cel + GPS from USA in Spain. Any other options, if any, besides these two?
  • Can I have a stand alone plane just for my watch with any of the previous companies and still be able to use my iphone to setup my watch, customize it, check my running history, etc...

I am a bit frustrated with this, hopefully there is a solution.

Thank you...

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 6:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 6:54 AM

It is my understanding that a cellular Watch from the U.S. won't work on any European cellular carrier.

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 3, 2022 6:51 AM in response to eurojourney

As this is a user to user only forum and its unlikely anyone from Orange or Vodafone is participating here, you'll need to seek assistance with them. You cannot have a standalone plan for Apple Watch. If either Orange or Vodafone is able to provide service to your watch, you will need to use them as your cellular provider for your iPhone as well.

Nov 3, 2022 9:57 AM in response to Rudegar

For a long time, people have come to this forum in the OPs situation and the answer has been same every time. An Apple Watch made for and sold in the US is not compatible with cellular providers in Europe. The good news is the OP gets to save money and use the watch as GPS only watch, which just means in order for it to work for calls, texts and access to the outside world, the paired iPhone needs to be with them.

I would however, encourage the OP to speak with Orange and/or Vodafone and see if there is any way they can support a US based Apple Watch. I suspect the answer will be no.

USA Apple Watch (Cellular + GPS) in Europe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.