You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Printer Presets Not Saving

Love macOS Ventura but after updating all of my printer presets for the Toshiba copier at my work got scrambled. When trying to set them again the preset name would save but the settings would remain defaulted and any time you try and fix the preset settings they don't save so you can't click a preset and have the settings you want pulled up. This makes it very difficult to print and we're wasting paper. Any fix? I have a 2018 Mac mini with an intel core i7.

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 9:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 6:53 PM

After nearly a year old fighting this issue in Ventura (and more recently Sonoma on my M2 Mac Mini), I was about to give up and go back to High Sierra, I finally found a solution that works through a tip on a similar thread on Adobe. I open any of my Photoshop files in Mac's "Preview" application, select my printer (in my case an Epson P900), choose my settings (size, sheet feed, Epson Watercolor Paper, etc.), and then save and name them as a preset. Now, when I go to print in Photoshop, these presets automatically appear and retain all my settings! This seems like an absurd workaround for a problem that Apple should have fixed a year ago, but it's fairly simple and, for me anyway, works like a charm. I hope this helps. I also hope Apple fixes this annoying problem soon!

Similar questions

60 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2023 6:53 PM in response to jupiter optimus maximus

After nearly a year old fighting this issue in Ventura (and more recently Sonoma on my M2 Mac Mini), I was about to give up and go back to High Sierra, I finally found a solution that works through a tip on a similar thread on Adobe. I open any of my Photoshop files in Mac's "Preview" application, select my printer (in my case an Epson P900), choose my settings (size, sheet feed, Epson Watercolor Paper, etc.), and then save and name them as a preset. Now, when I go to print in Photoshop, these presets automatically appear and retain all my settings! This seems like an absurd workaround for a problem that Apple should have fixed a year ago, but it's fairly simple and, for me anyway, works like a charm. I hope this helps. I also hope Apple fixes this annoying problem soon!

Jul 18, 2024 11:27 AM in response to andrefrombroadway

Who really needs to have this work correctly is those of us who use Epson printers professionally in the graphic art world. So, yes...we might want to criticize Apple for making our life at work a bit messy for over a year because they can't seem to fix one little glitch in their system. If all I were printing is emails from my friends (who does that??) yeah, no problem, but graphic artists who sell their work need consistent color matching and when we spend hours developing presets that make things work it's a big problem when the printer doesn't cooperate. Get it now?

Jul 5, 2023 5:48 PM in response to jupiter optimus maximus

Howdy,

I just ran into this issue on a client's new Mac Mini, running Ventura 13.4, and none of the migrated print pre-sets worked correctly. I even deleted them, and re-added them, but they would not retain the customized settings properly.

I was able to resolve the issue by doing the following:

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Printers & Scanners  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)

Control-click the printer in the Printers list on the right, then choose Reset Printing System.

Note: If no printers appear in the Printers list, you can Control-click the empty list and choose Reset Printing System.

After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners settings is empty.

• finally, I re-added the printers, re-created the pre-sets, and they worked correctly! :)

Hope this helps someone out there!

Cheers,

Daniel

Jul 15, 2024 8:10 AM in response to jupiter optimus maximus

I've read a lot of comments here and I don't really think it's fair to criticise Apple for the fact they haven't quite figured out how to allow users to print documents reliably and consistently from their Apple computers. I don't think commenters are taking into account just how leading-edge and state-of-the-art being able to print a document really is. People are so fussy! It may be easier to cut a potato in two, carve your text into one of the sides, dip that into ink and stamp it down on an A4 sheet, and you'd think that by 2024 Apple might have improved on this technology, but be patient - I'm sure they're doing their best and will get there in the end. It is clear from this thread that Apple have so far only had around a year and a half to work on the particular 'quirk' (i.e. clunky and sloppy chunk of buggy code written by half-wits, tested by quarter-wits, all overseen by 1/8th-wits) - give them a few more years and they may get around to looking into this obscure and arcane bit of functionality (who really needs to print stuff after all? I mean really need to?).

Sep 4, 2024 12:24 PM in response to jupiter optimus maximus

I have been through **** this past week with printer issues. I have a Canon TS6320 desktop printer and all of the sudden my color prints were looking horrible. Long story short I fixed the issue, but in the process I had deleted all of my printer settings. When I went to build them again I had a terrible time getting my presets to stay. I am working in Lightroom CC and every time I selected the "Print Settings" (Layout, Media & Quality, paper Handling etc.) from the lower left corner in LR, and saved them as a new preset, they failed to retain the choices I made. Poking around a bit I opened "Printer Settings" from the menu bar in LR rather than the lower left corner next to Page Setup and tried the same procedure. It works. I have no idea why, but it does, I was able to set up printing presets and the choices I made were retained. Hope this helps someone else.

Mac Studio, Sonoma 14:6:1

Dec 9, 2023 2:42 PM in response to Richard Davis7

I'm having the same issues. I have Ventura 13.6.2 installed. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 200 and NONE of the presets will stick. I have deleted the printer over and over and reinstalled the latest printer driver and it still won't work. I've spent HOURS on the phone with Canon and Red River Paper ( I'm using their papers for years) after doing extensive research on my own. The best anybody could come up with was the Canon Pro software for photoshop which is cumbersome to say the least. I'm using a custom sized paper for note cards which worked seamlessly with the Pixma Pro 100. Now, even resetting everything before I print to the ICC profiles and paper choice the settings revert to an incorrect paper. I want Polar Matte, select it, turn off the Margin setting and when I go to print, the colors are way off. I go back and the setting has reverted to a glossy paper. I'm beyond frustrated with Ventura and have lost hours of time, money on paper and ink and probably my hair (lol). Can Apple PLEASE do something about this?

Oct 11, 2024 12:30 PM in response to jupiter optimus maximus

I struggled with this for days (Sonoma bug) and many sheets of expensive paper and ink. Even the Preview workaround wasn't holding the preset attributes into Photoshop later. Until I clicked the DONE button on the PS preview (not Preview, the PS preview window) for the first time! I swear I had never used the DONE button for anything before. But it seems to have DONE what the SAVE button in the Printer Settings dialog could not do alone. Hope this works for others. Now I have to figure out why I have such a crappy simple printer setting interface that doesn't have all the necessary controls.

Dec 7, 2022 7:33 AM in response to jupiter optimus maximus

I am having the same problem on an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019), just updated to Ventura and seeing the exact same behavior in addition to being "Forbidden" when attempting to use the CUPS WebInterface to change default settings. Which leads me to believe there may be a file permissions issue with CUPS, I’m just not sure where to look to check. Printers are all configured via AirPrint, since Ventura seems to be having even more issues with LPD connected printers. On my personal M1 MacBook Pro, none of these issues are present.

Jan 25, 2023 5:37 AM in response to Hugo Stiglitz

I can confirm the following:

Using both a MacBook Air Apple M1 (2020), macOS 13.1 and my personal MacBook Pro Apple M1 (2020), macOS 13.2.

1. I have set Print Job Security to have Print with PIN enabled, then selected Save current settings as a Preset.
  2. Print to PIN works as expected for the current job.
  3. The next attempt to use this preset has Print to PIN disabled.
  4. I saved a second preset with some Finishing Options selected, Staple, Fold, Double-Sided and Print to PIN.
  5. All of the settings EXCEPT Print to PIN were saved in the Preset.

The difference I have seen from past behavior is the selected PIN is being retained when Print to PIN is saved as a Preset, but the setting is disabled and has to be re-enabled for each print job. In the past the PIN was randomly generated each time Print to PIN was enabled or used without a Preset.

Dec 12, 2022 4:27 PM in response to bilca68

@bilca68 I received an email stating this as your reply: "Same issue with Canon PIXMA MG6120.

I used the TWAIN support for the scanner in macOS Mojave but after moving to a new mac it does not work anymore.

Porting GIMP and TWAIN support is not difficult I would say. Why does Apple force me to buy new equipment? The old stuff still works."

I'm not sure why it does show than here in the discussion. FWIW I have a scanner that I received as a bonus when purchasing macOS 9, yes many years ago. When OS X was released, it stopped working and got retired to my basement. A few years ago I came across VueScan from Hamrick Software. I downloaded the trial version and was surprised when it worked. I purchased a license for the software and have never regretted it. I just updated my M1 MacBook Air to macOS 13 and then downloaded the latest release from hamrick.com and scanned some old DVD covers with no problem at all.

Dec 14, 2022 12:06 PM in response to jupiter optimus maximus

Same problem here. Just ran the 13.1 update and no improvement. Fortunately I did id on my laptop and not my main computer, but until this is fixed I cannot upgrade my main computer to ventura, nor can I buy a new Mac (which I'm due for). Having to manually do my print settings every time I print would be incredibly burdensome on my workload. (2019 MacBook Pro 16")

Dec 14, 2022 4:48 PM in response to Hugo Stiglitz

Hi Hugo,

For what it's worth, I can say that the only device I have experienced this issue on is an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019). I've not seen it on any of my M1 Mac Mini's or M1 MacBook Air's or M1 MacBook Pro's. YMMV, but you might be safe with a new Apple Silicon computer. Unfortunately for me, my main user of this feature on the iMac with two displays attached. So she probably wont be upgrading her device any time soon. I am considering downgrading her macOS back to Monterey if this issue is not resolved soon. Not sure how much work that would be.

Printer Presets Not Saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.