You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini seriously bad internet?

So I just set up a new mac mini 2020 m1, but for some reason the download speed is not getting above 0.8 Mb/s. The same connection on my phone and laptop is getting normal speeds of around 6Mbps. This makes me think it's a problem with the mac mini and not the router. However, when I hotspot from 4g on my phone, I get 17 Mbps on my mac mini...

Which makes me think it's not a problem with the mac.

The next thing I'll try is upgrading the OS from Monterey to Ventura. Which is going to take about a day when the download speed is at 0.3 Mbps.

Sadly a wired connection is out of the question ;(

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 8:43 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 1, 2022 1:31 PM in response to CameronBean

The Mac mini’s wireless antenna is built into the bottom cover and prone to week Wi-Fi and Bluetooth reception. Plus the addition of high sped USB and display cables can make the reception problem worse.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

As a test, try standing the Mac mini on it’s side with the bottom facing in the directions of the route to see if the Wi-Fi improves. If you like, you can get and use a side stand for the Mac mini.

Other options include moving the Mac mini closer to the router, getting a stronger Wi-Fi router or using a Wi-Fi Extender.

Mac Mini seriously bad internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.