You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updated my iPad to ios16. Now I am unable to receive iMessages.

I just updated my iPad to ios16. Now I am unable to receive iMessages.

Is there a fix to this?

I haven’t changed any settings from before the update

now my iPhone number is not listed as a choice for sending or receiving messages

I appreciate any support

thanks

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 10:51 AM

Are you having difficulties with the Apple Messages App, or just with sending/receiving SMS/MMS messages relayed via an iPhone?

Start here:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you have an iPhone, ensure that both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID. To send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad, verify that you have explicitly enabled Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2022 10:51 AM in response to mnmboca

Are you having difficulties with the Apple Messages App, or just with sending/receiving SMS/MMS messages relayed via an iPhone?

Start here:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you have an iPhone, ensure that both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID. To send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad, verify that you have explicitly enabled Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

updated my iPad to ios16. Now I am unable to receive iMessages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.