You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 27" Apple Display (2012) to new MacBook Air

Not sure what adaptor i need to connect the video out to my USB C video on on my new Mac Book Air M2. The video out has a video screen icon on it (not a lightening bolt) too I cannot tell if it is a thunderbolt or mini-display plug...they look the same

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 12:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 2:16 PM

Hello Laguna Jeff,

Based on your description it sounds like you have a LED Cinema Display (27-inch), which has a Mini DisplayPort connection: LED Cinema Display (27-inch) - Technical Specifications

Additionally, Apple's Mini DisplayPort adapters aren't compatible with Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. This resource has more details: About the Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters - Apple Support

So you would need to connect your display to a Mac with a native Mini DisplayPort to ensure compatibility.

Hopefully that addresses your inquiry.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2022 2:16 PM in response to Laguna Jeff

Hello Laguna Jeff,

Based on your description it sounds like you have a LED Cinema Display (27-inch), which has a Mini DisplayPort connection: LED Cinema Display (27-inch) - Technical Specifications

Additionally, Apple's Mini DisplayPort adapters aren't compatible with Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. This resource has more details: About the Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters - Apple Support

So you would need to connect your display to a Mac with a native Mini DisplayPort to ensure compatibility.

Hopefully that addresses your inquiry.

Take care.

Connecting 27" Apple Display (2012) to new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.