You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock with Watch showing wrong series and doesn't work

On my Mac Mini running Mac OS 12.6 Monterey, with a Series 8 Watch running WatchOS 9.0.2, unlocking with Watch won't work.

In System Preferences > Security & Privacy, I see my old Series 5 Watch and a Series 6 Watch I've never owned and nobody else in the family has had one either. The Series 8 doesn't show up and unlock with Watch doesn't work. Weirdly, if I select the Series 6 Watch it enables and I don't get a "couldn't communicate with Apple Watch" error.

The Series 8 Watch is correctly showing up as a linked device on iCloud.

Any ideas, is this a bug?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 6:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 7:00 AM

Make absolutely certain in the Apple Watch App on your iPhone in Settings > General > About - the watch is named correctly.

Then on your Mac, go into System Preferences and you may need to try to set your watch up to unlock your Mac two or three times. I had to do so, with my new Ultra Watch, but it finally set up and now works.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2022 7:00 AM in response to Pegasus829

Make absolutely certain in the Apple Watch App on your iPhone in Settings > General > About - the watch is named correctly.

Then on your Mac, go into System Preferences and you may need to try to set your watch up to unlock your Mac two or three times. I had to do so, with my new Ultra Watch, but it finally set up and now works.

Unlock with Watch showing wrong series and doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.