You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force MacBook not to charge when using power adapter

I am using "Optimised battery charging" option keeping battery level at 80% if using power adapter. But every time when I disconnect the cable at least for one second it starts charging up to 100% immediately. Is it possible to ask MacBook not to charge as I am sure that I will use power adapter for few more hours?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 2:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 8:19 PM

If the battery charge increases significantly after disconnecting the charger, then it indicates the battery is most likely bad. There is nothing you can do about this except to have the battery replaced because it is the chemical reactions inside the battery that are causing this to occur.

Check to see whether the battery condition is something other than "Normal" or "Good" since any other condition indicates a worn out or failing battery which Apple will replace. Option-click on the battery icon on the menubar to see the battery condition. If the condition is "Normal", then it is possible no condition will be listed.

Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop and run their service diagnostics. Ask them to run the Cooling Diagnostic since I have found this test tends to find some battery failures when their default MRI diagnostic finds no problems. It can be very hard to prove to Apple that a battery is failing since the diagnostics don't always report a failing battery even if the battery has a hardware fault.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2022 8:19 PM in response to mjromka.me

If the battery charge increases significantly after disconnecting the charger, then it indicates the battery is most likely bad. There is nothing you can do about this except to have the battery replaced because it is the chemical reactions inside the battery that are causing this to occur.

Check to see whether the battery condition is something other than "Normal" or "Good" since any other condition indicates a worn out or failing battery which Apple will replace. Option-click on the battery icon on the menubar to see the battery condition. If the condition is "Normal", then it is possible no condition will be listed.

Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop and run their service diagnostics. Ask them to run the Cooling Diagnostic since I have found this test tends to find some battery failures when their default MRI diagnostic finds no problems. It can be very hard to prove to Apple that a battery is failing since the diagnostics don't always report a failing battery even if the battery has a hardware fault.

Force MacBook not to charge when using power adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.