You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro 13 M2.

Just purchased.

I'm having problems with QuickTime Version 10.5 (1126.4.1.) on Mac OS Montery 12.6 with 24gb RAM

I record movies on my video camera in AVCD and then open on my Mac Book pro and can't save as the time goes from 1 hour up to 100's of hours in a minute.

I also can't watch them.

On my MacBook Air from 2012 I have no issues at all on exactly the same files.

I've copied from SD card to local machine and no change.

Any ideas?

Thank in advance

Mat

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 1:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 5:08 PM

Hi, and Welcome to the Apple Community.

Re: can't save

Wondering what method you have been using to try to save the videos on your MacBook Pro.:

Eg: This article (link below) may help with saving and viewing videos:

Transfer images in Image Capture on Mac – Apple Support

_________________________________________________________________________________

Also the article: Import photos from storage devices and DVDs using Photos on Mac – Apple Support

If you scroll down there is info. on importing videos to "Photos" app from SD cards

__________________________________________________________________________________

Re: On my MacBook Air from 2012 I have no issues at all on exactly the same files.

Commiserations!

Seems we all have a constant learning curve. as technology keeps changing, and we adjust to new tech. and techniques.

Fortunately, Apple Support documents almost everything, so we can learn Apple's ways of doing things.

All the best :-)

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 7, 2022 5:08 PM in response to Shortbloke

Hi, and Welcome to the Apple Community.

Re: can't save

Wondering what method you have been using to try to save the videos on your MacBook Pro.:

Eg: This article (link below) may help with saving and viewing videos:

Transfer images in Image Capture on Mac – Apple Support

_________________________________________________________________________________

Also the article: Import photos from storage devices and DVDs using Photos on Mac – Apple Support

If you scroll down there is info. on importing videos to "Photos" app from SD cards

__________________________________________________________________________________

Re: On my MacBook Air from 2012 I have no issues at all on exactly the same files.

Commiserations!

Seems we all have a constant learning curve. as technology keeps changing, and we adjust to new tech. and techniques.

Fortunately, Apple Support documents almost everything, so we can learn Apple's ways of doing things.

All the best :-)

Oct 16, 2022 10:14 AM in response to Shortbloke

You're welcome! Thank you for clarifying, further Mat.

Re: "I copy the file locally , then use trim",

Seems like a jam I get into at times with various apps that need a "Done" or "Apply" to complete an action before I can save.

Wondering if you press "Command + S" (the save shortcut), if you'll get some indication (dialog box?) why save can't be performed at the time. .... ( Eg: QuickTime, may need "Trim" clicked to complete the trim edit, before you can save.)

Else sometimes, when things seem halted in an app, seeming like an impasse, will swipe to another screen, do something there, swipe back and the problem is inexplicably "gone".

Or if QuickTime app is actually frozen, seems the only way is to quit and re-open the app, losing any unsaved portion of edit.

Re: "I record movies on my video camera in AVCD"

"can't save as the time goes from 1 hour up to 100's of hours in a minute".

"also can't watch them".

Wondering what format (eg ,mp4, m4v, .DV) the movies are in when imported to your MacBook Air / MacBook Pro

For the best playing / viewing with QuickTime PlAyer you may need to convert the files to .mp4, .m4v, or .mov 

.mov files are QuickTime Player's "native" format.

QuickTime can play Motion JPEG-based AVIs created by many digital cameras.

Other playable formats are: MPEG-2, MPEG-1, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AVCHD, AVI (Motion JPEG only), DV

Seems, if a file is an older or third-party (non-Apple) media format, QuickTime Player may convert it before playing.

NB: In some cases, a third-party app may be needed to convert files for playing / viewing with QuickTime

Supported Codecs include H.264, H.263, H.261

(NB: The Photos app can also play videos imported from a camera.).

____________________________________________________________________-

If you can not save a video, try choosing File > Export As, then choose an option from the Export menu.

(Seems QuickTime Player can play .mp4 files, but doesn’t export as mp4.)

or

When you "share" your movie, QuickTime Player creates a version of the movie that’s optimised for how you choose to share.

ie: Choose File > Share, then choose how you want to share your movie. (Eg: You could use "share" to save for yourself)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "On my MacBook Air from 2012 I have no issues at all on exactly the same files"

If you are using the same QuickTime 10.5 (1126.4.1.) version, and Mac OS version on both Macs it is indeed curious.

If needed:

Apple has a QuickTime User Guide for Monterey online:

Click "Table of Contents" at the top of the page that opens from the link to see topics / how-to articles

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/quicktime-player/welcome/10.5/mac

Oct 19, 2022 10:55 PM in response to brbo

I found a solution after I tried it on a Mac in the Apple Store with the same results.

AVCHD files are not supported on Mac so to de pack you do what this video tells you in under 2 minutes, which was a tasty find .

In essence highlight AVCHD File

Right click show package contents 

Then right click the next AVCHD file which is normally named BDMV

Select show package contents again 

You can then see MTS FILES which is the video broken down into 20 minute chunks

works perfectly

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond

Mat

https://youtu.be/gV_QbvGeuJ8

quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.